Author Topic: Does anyone make a combination set of nipple bits?  (Read 5669 times)

Online bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Does anyone make a combination set of nipple bits?
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »
Just curious... does anyone produce nipple bits that fit most screwdrivers (with the hexagonal receiver for the bit)?

Would be nice to be able to have a variety of nipple bits that can be used with a screwdriver set.   I find most nipple wrenches too short, so having a longer reach and better control with a screwdriver handle might be quite nice.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

chubby

Re: Does anyone make a combination set of nipple bits?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:48:36 AM »
Bones, just curious what kind of bit?? and for doing what? with the nipples.    Chubby

Online bones92

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 03:54:30 AM »
I'm sure we all have screwdriver sets with various bits with hexagonal ends to fit into the screwdriver.   I'm thinking that some nipple wrench bits would be a useful item.  I find most nipple wrenches a bit awkward to work with.

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:21:28 AM »
Ted Cash has a ratcheting nipple wrench that uses replaceable hexagonal shaped bits. It is strong and easy to use. The hexagonal styled bits that he markets can be purchased separately, but will not fit a replaceable bit screwdriver. He has them listed on his website. Google his name to locate his website.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 06:12:52 AM »
You might have to make your own.  I used a 3/16 hex drive nut driver to make a pistol nipple tool.  Its one of the few times that I can actually recommend the use of a Dremmel tool to cut the metal.

Initial cuts with the metal cutting disc on my Dremmel Tool.

I needed to deepen the hole to provide clearance for the nipple cone and file the sides of the cut out to get it to fit the sides of the nipple.

Online bones92

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »
Mike_StL,

Excellent idea!  I hadn't considered just modifying an available hex bit.

Now for a musket nipple, I believe most are a 0.25" square.    I wonder if someone makes a screwdriver bit for a quarter-inch square nut.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:11:10 AM »
I don't have a 1/4" tool to use with musket nipples.  But, I don't have a (percussion) musket so I don't need one. 

I did find the tool below at an estate sale that would likely be of use on a musket nipple.

Such gems can be found where they may be least expected.

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:23:46 AM »
 fwiw..That's a key for a current "B" acetylene cylinder or older larger one without valve handles..could be purchased at a welders supply  K

Lee44shootercnb

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:34:00 AM »
This is what I use for my 44CnB colts n Remington s. 
http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools/motorcycle-tools/motorcycle-hand-tools/s-s-main-jet-changing-tool?b=64937&gclid=CKzrnPf4oMsCFdgDgQodFvYG_w
http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools/motorcycle-tools/motorcycle-hand-tools/s-s-main-jet-changing-tool?b=64937&gclid=CKzrnPf4oMsCFdgDgQodFvYG_w

Use the dremel tool to cut the slot for the nipple.  Remove the rubble o rings from the handle. Heat end of slotted area dip to harden.

For the 1861 Springfield I use the one purchased from Blockade Runner, page 6
ITEM # 863 $12.95
http://www.blockaderunner.com/images/eb333.gif
 :)