Author Topic: Sort of new in NW CT  (Read 10529 times)

CTShooter

Sort of new in NW CT
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »
Built a T/C Hawken .50 perc. from an old kit several years ago, just now getting serious about learning how to shoot it. Also have a T/C .54 I haven't messed with yet and picked up a 12ga yesterday.

Done a bit of reading and going to try a couple of things today, just got back from the fabric store.

I'll wait to ask my questions until later.

Anyone else in the area feel free to contact, I'm the only one I know shooting muzzleloaders around here.

CTShooter

Re: Sort of new in NW CT
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:36:12 AM »
Ok, I learned I'm not good at measuring fabric and I had to make another trip to the fabric store.

Another range trip tomorrow.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
I'm gonna suggest that you contact the NMLRA for information about shooting in your area.
You might have to drive a bit...but it will be time WELL SPENT. You'll learn more in one day with experienced muzzleloader shooters than a year spent online. 
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

CTShooter

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »
Thanks, been there, done that, not really an option, nothing really close and my current health won't allow extended car trips.

There is supposed to be group in Sharon CT, but there is no current contact information and they let their charter expire.

So as of now it's the me, myself and I show and I'm going to learn however I have to.

CTShooter

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »
Thanks for all the information on the site.

Very successful range day, decided to try the .54.

15 rounds in a row, no wiping between shots, decent accuracy, pretty easy cleanup.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
Have you looked for any reenacting groups in your neck of the woods? I know a bunch of units were from CT when I reenacted. A lot of them shot and hunted with their muskets. I'm not saying to reenact, but try to contact some of them and they might have some resources. Besides reenactor are some of the best people I've ever met.
Greg

CTShooter

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »
I have and so far no one from my area.

Thanks

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
Thanks, been there, done that, not really an option, nothing really close and my current health won't allow extended car trips.

There is supposed to be group in Sharon CT, but there is no current contact information and they let their charter expire.

So as of now it's the me, myself and I show and I'm going to learn however I have to.

The NMLRA unfortunately only has one Field Rep in Connecticut and I don't know where in the state he's located; Connecticut isn't one of the states in my Region 3 (Southeastern states).  However, you might want to check with him to see if he can help you.  Good luck.  The contact information on the NMLRA website is:

Edward Spataro    CT   epspataro@aol.com   203-879-1068

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline paul v

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »
Where in Ct are you located? I'm in the Danbury area, and would be willing to help anyway i can. Paul
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.- Ben Franklin

CTShooter

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »
Thanks
Ed has sort of disappeared.

I'm trying to get something started locally, I even volunteered to be a field rep for NMLRA, but that has gone nowhere.

No worries, not going to stop me.

Thanks

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »
Check with Joyce Vogel at NMLRA HQ about being a Field Rep.

Call 812 667-5131 and ask for Joyce.

She can assist.

For video assistance on your gun, go to YouTube and type in search block: Duelist1954
Mike is the Black Powder Editor for "Guns Of The Old West" magazine. He has about 250+ videos on all the different muzzleloading firearms from rifles to shotguns to handguns.

Hope this helps,

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep-NC
NMLRA
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

CTShooter

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »
Thanks

I don't have issues with my rifles, I was hoping to find others that shared my interest and possibly get some shooting and educational events going.

There seems to be a bit of a void in activity in my area and I was trying to do something about it.

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »
I think I remember someone saying that Field Rep Ed Spataro was in Wolcott. At least that is my recollection when I looked into muzzleloading back when I lived part of the year in CT. Maybe try the Kent Hollow range as well.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:14:56 PM by Ray-Vigo »

Offline Longone

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 12:24:14 AM »

CTShooter

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 02:12:50 AM »
Thanks

I know most of the ranges in my area.

My attempts to get some participation in my area have pretty much gone no place, and NMLRA has been no help. Ed has my contact information and knows I am trying to contact him. I guess if I can't get a local field rep to contact me, I'm contacting the wrong people.

Joyce Vogel emailed me and indicated she had spoken with him?

I did meet a couple of people from the forum that are willing to give me some guidance and assistance with building a flintlock.

I figured out how to shoot my current rifles the way I hoped it would be with the information on this forum.

If no one else around here wants to participate, their loss.

My wife has gotten a rifle and is learning muzzleloading with me, I'm going to learn, build rifles and enjoy.

Peace

Offline Longone

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 02:36:29 AM »
Where abouts in the state are you?

How far from Waterbury?

Longone

CTShooter

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 02:47:55 AM »
About half hour. I live on the Torrington/Winsted line and usually shoot at NWCSA in Colebrook.

Thanks

Offline Longone

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 03:08:30 AM »
WOW, I thought that club would have several black powder shooters. No organized shoots at all? How many folks shoot black powder during the week?  What range do they have targets to shoot, 50 yds, 100 yds?

CTShooter

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 03:32:50 AM »
I haven't seen another muzzleloader in my recent trips the past few months.(not even the yucky modern ones)

I have handed my rifle to several people at the range, handed them my card and invited them to learn. One guy even said he had a rifle in the closet, just didn't know how to use it.

None of them have contacted me about shooting.

There is nothing scheduled due to lack of participation.

I asked NMLRA if they were doing anything to try and increase participation in this area, but they just keep telling me to give them money and never answer the question.

Kind of sucks because when I first started about 8 years ago, we had a few shoots, and I had a lot of fun.

Now that I'm mostly over my illness for now, I want to do it again while I still can.

The closest shoots are a little over and hour and a half from me, long car rides are difficult at the moment, but will be better after the next surgery.

Our range is currently 200 yards, but we just started the expansion to 400

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 03:45:01 AM »
CTShooter, may as well throw in with us here at ALR and shoot in our bi-monthly matches. Click on the link below for information, and join in.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=39724.0
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:45:57 AM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

CTShooter

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 03:56:33 AM »
I was thinking about trying it, I was try to figure out what "chunk" is and how to shoot one?

My background is military, NRA F class and lots of handgun.

Thanks for the invitation

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 04:05:17 AM »
Good luck with the surgery and shooting, CTShooter.  It's a lot more fun to shoot and learn with others.  There will be some good, useful information gleaned here as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

CTShooter

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 04:45:56 AM »
Thanks. It's #4, kind of like the dentist, it sucks but still gotta go once a year.

I have gotten plenty of help here just reading through the posts.

At 50 yards I'm mostly happy with my groups, I can shoot the way I want (not going to start the wipe vs not wipe between shots thing here), just that I'm happy with how it worked out for me.

And I was able to get my hands on some nice flint locks for my builds.

All is good

CTShooter

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »
Candle Snuffer

It says in the rules I can shoot "chunk".

What exactly is that?

Offline Longone

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
Pm sent with link, good info over there.

Longone