Author Topic: .40 cal recipe  (Read 11522 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: .40 cal recipe
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 03:49:05 AM »
Your groups are improving, I'm wondering if you can see it, a smaller black dot might help also. I too would try more powder if you havent already done that.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »
I found reducing the 50 yard bull to a 3" or 4" at most, reduced group sizes. I also found aiming at 6 o'clock also worked well on the bull, which formed a sort of figure 8 with my front bead. It also worked well with the blade front sight. Harry Pope liked the figure 8 sight picture as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 07:23:12 PM »
The 6 o-clock hold helps me also because I can focus in on that spot (black/white) more exactly instead of somewhere in the middle of a black blob.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:17 PM »
...6 o'clock hold.  So how do you cut a horizontal string or drive a tack?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 12:35:01 AM »
Along the same line as Taylor's comment, I find the six o'clock hold to be great for bullseye shooting but more difficult for me to use for shooting other shapes.  Haffner targets or novelty style targets like Taylor listed have no nice round bull to use for six o'clock holds.  I used to use a six o'clock hold but some years ago moved to sighting in my rifles to hit at point of aim.  For me at least, it's easier to use a rifle that is sighted in that way because regardless of the target shape I can hold on what I want to hit.  Also that way my hunting rifles and target rifles are sighted in the same way. 

I'm not knocking how a person wants to sight in their rifles; whatever method works best for a person is obviously the right method for them.  I've found sighting in for point of aim rather than six o'clock works best for me.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 03:24:26 AM »
Maybe I should explain my use of a 6 o-clock hold. I don't think I said that I sight in with a 6 o-clock hold but I do like the 6 o-clock hold for working up the most acurate load for that gun and then I sight in with a center hold. Works for me anyway.

Offline kudu

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 06:43:30 PM »
with the single dot target , The Dot is 2.5" if I remember. That is about the smallest spot I can draw a bead on. My front sight is a 1/16 gold bead with a shallow "Vee" rear sight.

I have .22 cal rimfire that has a open "Globe/Peep" or small cicular frame Front and Rear sights both, I think if a person has good eyesight that would be a real good sight just line up the "frames" and center on the target. but it's not going to pass the "Traditional Police" ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 08:12:17 PM »
...6 o'clock hold.  So how do you cut a horizontal string or drive a tack?

I use a 6 o'clock hold for testing load accuracy only - group shooting as it gives a more precise sight picture.
As far as strings go - I miss them -  - LOL
Daryl

Vomitus

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
    Not to jack this thread. Daryls, we need to use 410 shells for our tack drive. Too many hotshots around here! ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »
In my .40 the sweet spot seems to be 40 grains of 3F, a .390" ball patched with .024" mattress ticking lubed with Hoppes BP lube.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 07:43:10 PM »
I figure at well, the BL solvent Hornady sells should be a good trail walk lube, as well as HOPPE'S BP Lube.  I saw it advertised some time ago, but not since.
The older #9 Plus and both renditions of LHV required me to use more powder to get the accuracy "Back" at 50 yards.  I haven't done the lube experiment in A.Verner or my new .36 Rice Bl., but will at some point.
Daryl