Author Topic: Unknown Contemporary Rifle in Davenport, IA  (Read 11970 times)

The Rambling Historian

Unknown Contemporary Rifle in Davenport, IA
« on: March 25, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/GA0416-245850/0/Kentucky-Flint-Lock-Gun/

Somehow this rifle got placed in an auction consisting mostly of tractors. Any ideas on the maker and value? I'm not likely going to bid since I cannot go and check it out in person and see what the bore is like and what not.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:10:43 PM by The Rambling Historian »

Boompa

Re: Unknown Contemporary Rifle in Davenport, IA
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 10:45:20 PM »
  A little odd...NO lock panels. ::)

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 11:04:35 PM »
Yeah from the images it looks like the usual stock flats are simply the same level as the rest of the stock.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 12:10:55 AM »
Nice low sights.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »
 I think its a Cockran lock, because of the shape of the jaw screw. This looks to me like someones early effort at building. I see some positive work, and some work that needs refinement. believe me I've seen worse examples.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
I think its a Cockran lock, because of the shape of the jaw screw. This looks to me like someones early effort at building. I see some positive work, and some work that needs refinement. believe me I've seen worse examples.

Hungry Horse

HH,
 It MIGHT be one of mine from the 1960's but I'm not sure.

Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:29:19 AM »
I'd be surprised if that rifle sold for more than the price of a used lock and barrel.
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 05:46:56 AM »
Bob if it is. An you tuned the lock. It would be worth getting. Especially if you built it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »
Bob if it is. An you tuned the lock. It would be worth getting. Especially if you built it.

oldtravler61,
If the lock is removed and examined it will have my last name in it and a date.
Thanks also for the compliment.
Bob Roller

ddoyle

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 05:04:55 PM »
Worth a punt based on Bob's conjecture, no telling what something will go for at a farm auction tho. A good tractor gun is hard to find! And that one would be attractive to many eyes.

Could have been build by a Russian/Ukranian descendant from the wheat belt or from some other builder whose experience/knowledge of side locks is devoid of exposure to developed lock panels. Would make it a real American Long Rifle-blend of old and new world traditions....... No lack of side locks with out panels out there.  Do the Huterites build the odd gun?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 12:58:16 AM »
Just got back from the auction. Gun sold for $1100. It was fearsome ugly in person..... :o Dixie lock too BTW.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 03:49:00 AM »
All mine have lock panels. But there still ugly.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
All mine have lock panels. But there still ugly.
I was willing to go $300 tops just for the parts. Sat there 3 hours and didn't even get to bid..... ::) VERY annoying. :P Did get to see the "American Picker" crew there. Frank Fritz and Mike Wolf's brother. I suspect they were sellers, NOT buyers.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 05:56:17 PM »
Just got back from the auction. Gun sold for $1100. It was fearsome ugly in person..... :o Dixie lock too BTW.

Wow. That is a lot more than I expected! I was going to send my grandfather to put in a bid since he was thinking about just going to see the cool old tractors anyways. I'm glad I didn't waste his time!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 03:08:11 AM »
Been my experience. Guns generally go much higher than there actual value. At most auctions I have attended. Especially if they are a general type auction. But maybe there was more to this rifle than we know about.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:09 AM »
Been my experience. Guns generally go much higher than there actual value. At most auctions I have attended. Especially if they are a general type auction. But maybe there was more to this rifle than we know about.
I don't think so..... ;)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 04:18:35 AM »
Been my experience. Guns generally go much higher than there actual value...

spoken like a buyer not a seller!  :D

nothing personal, just saying perspective is everything in this case.

edit:
and now that 3 more thoughts passed twixt my ears, I must ask HOW did it sell for more than it was worth when it was purchased at auction?  Does not the final bid indicate exactly what the piece was WORTH to the buyer and how much he's going to have to fork over (maybe plus a premium) to complete the transaction?  

I know what you're saying, but "higher than their value" can only be logical for all who underbid or didn't bid at all.  Their opinions don't pay the auctioneer.   Value has been set.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:26:22 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 05:06:52 AM »

I know what you're saying, but "higher than their value" can only be logical for all who underbid or didn't bid at all.  Their opinions don't pay the auctioneer.   Value has been set.

Until next time!
JIM

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 05:18:14 AM »
That's what makes auctions so wonderful,  never know which lot is going to sell for "retail" and what items will only fetch "wholesale".  It's the bargains and rarities that make them interesting.

Hold to the Wind

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 05:06:29 AM »
Hummm....just putting some southern style hardware on it doesn't do much...about everything else looks wrong to me for a good southern build...that said, I saw one very much like it ...well actually it was a lot better; at an antique shop in Port Byron which isnt too far away from where the auction was held...maybe it was the same builder, and that gun was priced at only half of the auction gavel price...I passed on it with no regrets.
tc   

"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 04:48:24 AM »
Wade my statement. Was a general comment. Not cut in stone. Someone stated $300 for the parts. An it went for $1100. Auctions can be good or bad. An yes I buy an sell. Have for over 40+ years. When Mr. Roller said he might have made it. That's what interested me.