Author Topic: "Barn gun" original  (Read 17899 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
"Barn gun" original
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:37:20 AM »
    I know how excited some guys get seeing Don Getzs' next barn gun, so I thought I would post a few photos of one probably made by one of Don's Revolutionary War ancestors.  I ran across this gun at the Bushy Run show last year.  The owner is a friend and a KRA member.   The gun possibly dates to the period of the Revolution and fits all the criteria for a "Barn Gun."  This is, as they say, "The Real Deal."   The wood in the stock was not maple and seemed quite heavy and dense; it sure stood the test of time.   Ron

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:18:32 AM by rich pierce »
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: "Barn gun" original
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:59:09 AM »
Nice, octagon to round smoothbore?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 02:08:50 AM »
Nice THIN lock moldings!

Also that nice long extension of the wrist into the butt area!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:15:54 AM by JWFilipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 02:45:14 AM »
Is it possible that the stock is of beechwood? There is a hint of that type of grain in the wrist. I wonder if that lock is a reused item. Sure is a neat rifle, thanks for the phptos.

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:38:08 AM »
That is a nice, honest piece. IMHO, I like the plain pieces almost as much as the carved ones. Though plain as homemade soap, this gun does appear to illustrate the  workmanship of a knowledgeable maker.

The trikker guard appears to be made of brass strap bent into the shape of a guard.  Is it possible to get a better photo of the guard...and maybe the rod entry? For that matter, would it be possible to get a photo of the fore stock?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I can't get enough of these gun photos.

Thanks for posting the photos.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:49:34 AM by J.D. »

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:44:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Is that an octagon to round barrel or all octagon?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 06:14:05 AM »
Love it. Someone would do well building something like this.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 09:13:39 AM »
That lock would have to be completely hand made wouldn't it? There is a blacksmith-made look to it. The guard reminds me of an early trade gun style--maybe English . And the butt stock is pretty neat, to me there's a lot of early fowler there. Any ideas as to barrel length and caliber? This rifle would definitely be worthy of reproducing as closely as possible.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »
    I thought some of you would recognize this as a darn nice example of the elusive "workingman's gun" that usually did not survive.  I have no doubt that the barrel and some other parts were scrounged, as it was obviously built for someone on a budget.   Goex4fg may be right on the stock being Beech or even Elm or Sycamore It has some of those rays and grain structure in the photo of the wrist.   The style of the butt stock to me seems to suggest more French influence.  In reality it is quite close to what evolved into the classic Bucks Co. profile. 
I may have an opportunity to get some more photos within the week and will check out the barrel length etc.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
What a great old gun.  It's amazing it has survived in such good condition.  I know little about these guns and really appreciate the chance to see the pictures.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Sean

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
That lock would have to be completely hand made wouldn't it? There is a blacksmith-made look to it. The guard reminds me of an early trade gun style--maybe English . And the butt stock is pretty neat, to me there's a lot of early fowler there. Any ideas as to barrel length and caliber? This rifle would definitely be worthy of reproducing as closely as possible.

There are others here who are more knowledgeable than me, but I would guess that is an import lock.  If you wanted to reproduce it the Davis Colonial lock would be quite close.  That's a neat gun.   I'd like to see some specs on the barrel.

Sean

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »
Note the “buttplate” is rounded to prevent the wood chipping as easy either he was so trained or had made enough of them to see this as a potential weak point. In any event he took the time to do it right. I bet it was purpose made this way. The stocking appears to have been done my someone who knew his business.
Lock is a big old import fowler/musket lock.
Are those proof marks on the barrel breech or just extra “idiot marks” as some call them?

Very nice piece in any event and one that belongs in a book with full description.

But like its plain brothers and cousins is largely ignored by the collectors and “experts” of the past and even today.
Its a rare survivor, many, many fell  to WW-I scrap drives, one collector I knew as a kid  told me he "all I had left was the stock off one of my good guns" when he returned from the war. Did not ask how many...

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »
Nice THIN lock moldings!

Also that nice long extension of the wrist into the butt area!
Holy Kats, JW now I have to scratch some more stock away around that lock on my smoothy in progress.   

Man if that ol gun could talk kinda like my ol 34 Plymouth ::) ;D

That ol gun is surely a survivor and the photos much appreciated !

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »
 Wow, really nice piece. That wrist really does extend way back into the butt stock. Nice pics, Thanks for posting. I too would like to see more of not only this one but others as well.

Tim C.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
Beautiful old gun.  I agree with Roger - if only it could talk what a story it could tell.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 06:07:01 PM »
Wicked Neat gun.
Frenchie or Brown Bess wrist going waaay back into the butt. Germanic lock, no bridle on the frizzen, hidden frizzen spring screw, and what looks like a separate octagonal pan, much worn. Barrel looks like an import, with proof marks.

I would place this 1770 to 1800, late only because the parts could have been recycled several times.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
French musket lock.  I will presume it is a hastily-produced gun made during the Revolution.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline TPH

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 10:10:07 PM »
Chris, I think you may be on to something. Is there a record of the barrel configuration and length? Those proof marks that are visible but unreadable in the last photo are very interesting and would tell us a lot about this gun's history.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:11:21 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
It may or may not have provision for a bayonet, but if I were to bet, I'd say that it did.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline tom patton

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »
I pretty much agree with Chris here.This is NOT a barn gun but before proceeding I would as per JD like to see the guard finials as well as the forestock. I would also like to know the barrel length and caliber.This gun appears to be a  composite musket possibly from the 1775-1780 period.The butt architecture suggests production brfore the 1777 influx of French guns rendering Brown Bess architecture unpatriotic.The wood appears to be cherrywood which suggests Connecticut manufacture.  Chris  felt that the lock was French and and it does have French styling but the nose of the lock is longer than we normally see in a French lock and additionally the lock is a bit cruder than we would expect to see in a French lock.I submit that the lock is an American creation copying a French lock.See "Flintlock Fowlers" by Tom Grinslade PP.54and 75 for two similar American made locks on New England fowlers.I feel that this gun is an American made composite musket made during the early days of the Revolution.
As always I welcome responsible opposing comments.
Tom Patton

Offline tom patton

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 12:43:48 AM »
One other point I forgot to mention is that the guard bow strongly suggests French manufacture and I would know better after seeing the guard finials. Like Chris I would be surprised if this gun was  not constructed for the installation of a bayonet.
Tom Patton

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 01:57:25 AM »
Well , since all the experts have pontificated.... ;) it's my turn! ;D I'll say Dutch lock. The trigger guard is made from sheet brass like a carolina gun. The barrel is English. I'd say it was built in it's present form in the New England area probably Rev war time....but possibly earlier, but not much earlier.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 03:37:01 AM »
Mike-
I'm no expert, but that trigger guard does look like it came from an early English/Carolina trade gun. The lock has a "made in America" look to it, especially in the shape of the cock. The stock could be cherry, but cherry doesn't usually feel heavy--certainly compared to maple. But it does strike me as odd that beechwood would be found on an American gun of this period. And cherry would make sense if the gun is a New England piece. Wish there was a few more photos of this rifle.
                                                                            Dan

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 03:44:27 AM »
Well fellows, this has been fun, and i have a bit more information to throw out after corresponding with the owner.  Here is what he wrote concerning the features. "It has a 49" barrel, about 65 caliber.  The barrel is English (three stage) and the barrel makers mark (Blackmore) could be as early as 1742, so the gun could be F & I war period.  The stock is cherry, I have been told.  there are two ramrod pipes, that are small and have that copper look to them as many did.  The triggerguard is from the 1680-1710 period (according to Bob Speelman) and the only one that he has seen actually on a gun and not excavated.  It is screwed in the front (probably originally for an upwardtang bolt) and nailed at the back.  Except for the ramrod pipes (American) all parts are undoubtedly from earlier guns.  It is cut for a bayonet and probably saw Rev War service.  Also the trigggerguard is "spooned" out with is an early feature.  The lock is 7" long."   I am aware that this is a fowler musket rather than a barn gun.  I just thought i would have a little fun and let the younger guys see that the concept of building a gun w/o butt plate, sideplate, entry thimble etc.(features of a "barn gun")  goes way back
I will post some more photos as soon as I can.   Keep speculating.  

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 04:25:48 AM »
Ron,  Thanks for sharing the pictures and the followup information.  That is one nice looking gun.  It stands on its own merit.  Can't wait to see more pictures.
DMR