Author Topic: "Barn gun" original  (Read 17845 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: "Barn gun" original
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 06:30:36 AM »
As to the "crudity" of the lock: This lock is obviously well-worn and well-rusted.  Don't confuse that with "crudity".  It may have been a decent lock 230 years ago.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline tom patton

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 07:16:19 AM »
I am happy to hear what Lucky had to say here.I still think the lock is probably American though with French styling.I have a composite musket in Cherry and likely from Conn. with similar architecture. My gun has a 41" barrel and is 0.65 +/- caliber. The lock is very similar  and my gun has an English guard,side plate,and butt piece. Neuman refers to guns of this type as "Fusil Muskets"I would date both of them about 1770-1780 or maybe possibly a little earlier.I think English Brown Bess architecture with the hand rail butt was on its way out about 1777-1778 with the arrival of the French muskets procured by Franklin in Paris.I would still very much like to see the guiard since I still feel that it is probably French. I respect the opinion of my colleague Roberet Speelman and still want to see the finials on the guard.
Tom Patton

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 07:21:45 AM »
I think collectors very much appreciate guns like this. They are, this early, incredibly rare. A wonderfull piece. An important piece. There are simply many things that just don't come to the fore.

Offline tom patton

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 07:48:50 AM »
Well said, Bill. I have always liked these composite guns which used to be plentiful.For some time I have been concentrating on guns of this type which, as my old friend Earl Lanning once said, "were here when it all started"As most of us did I started with an admiration for the Golden Age guns but somwhow I got sidetracked by the guns which saw more than just hunting and target shooting. I am at the present time restoring a relic Fusil de chasse and Yes,I will be stetching the barrel and forestock and installing a Rifle Shoppe lock, sideplate, thimbles,and  some wood around the tang.As Wes White once said , this is the kind of gun that one can close his eyes and smell the Indian campfires.I can do no less.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
   Bill-when I was a kid growing up in New England, pieces similar to this one were still around, often hung over someone's fireplace. Usually the history wasn't known, but the guns were of New England style and often mistakenly referred to as Committee of Safety muskets. I don't recall ever seeing one without a butt plate before, though.
  The pan is interesting. It seems to be more finely worked and proportioned than the cock is. Sort of like it belongs to another lock. And the feather spring with its screw coming from the inside seems unusual for this style lock, too. I'm not sure, but I think Leonard Day has a similar lock. Maybe I'll take ride over there tomorrow and check it out. I really do like this gun!

Offline Collector

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
I'm glad to see my friend, Tom Patton, posting once again, especially on this topic.  ;D   These 'parts guns' kind of grow on you.  Over time, you gain an appreciation for the builders that took these various parts and restocked them.  Most of them exhibit really good architecture and were far from just thrown together.  I'm also not surprised that it is what some have termed a 'dual-purpose' firearm.   It is also obvious, that this piece has been pretty well cared for, over time.   I wouldn't mind having that one in my meager collection. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »
I think Chris may have it right.
One of my first thoughts was a poor mans militia arm. We really need better photos & description.
It is a plain but serviceable arm no matter its original purpose.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

longrifle

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
That is really a great old gun.  ;)

Offline AsMs

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 05:47:13 AM »
Sorry for bringing back an old post (before I found this forum) but was doing a search and found this. After reading I wish I could see the pictures that have been lost. Lucky R A, would you happen to still have these pictures available to re-post.

Thanks

AsMs

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »
I resurrected the pix.
Andover, Vermont

Offline AsMs

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
Thanks Rich

Offline AsMs

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2021, 08:31:09 AM »
Wish there were photos of the front half

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »
I just have chime in and say how beautiful that gun is.   It is slim and graceful and built to last; which it did.   Just goes to prove that lots of hardware and decoration are not required to make a beautiful gun.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline jim alford

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2021, 05:52:29 PM »
I too would really like to see some more detailed photos of this nice old piece.