Author Topic: ReConversion...  (Read 16821 times)

Offline Feltwad

Re: ReConversion...
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »
Unfortunately what is today referred to as being Bubba'd, probably was cutting edge when some of these guns were reconverted just a few years ago. And to deny a guns history, by reconverting a rough field conversion, born of necessity, back to a pristine flinter, is basically denying the guns genuine history. This is no different that when a genealogist finds that a hundred and fifty years ago someones family tree was purged of it native american, or african american roots. Reconversion falsifies the guns true provenance, and creates a false history through the deletion of the guns life after the flint era.

Hungry Horse

Well put sir it is the guns history that counts not financial gain that  most are done for
Feltwad

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 07:43:44 PM »
Interesting discussion and understandable from both sides. In the end though we are only voicing an opinion as to how we proceed with OUR property, not that of others. ;)

Offline lexington1

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »
I see your point, and believe it or not I do somewhat agree with some of what you say. But a heck of a lot of these conversions were absolute butcher jobs. Most times the original parts were discarded at the time of conversion anyway, so I fail to see what parts you think should be preserved.  What are your view points on a gun that was converted to cap, but only the drum remains and any hints of the original lock are long gone? Or a stunning carved rifle that has had its lock panel totally obliterated by a grossly over sized and ill fitting hardware lock when it was converted in 1870? State of the art? I think not. If it looks like a dog chances are it will be treated like a dog and eventually end up in the trash, then poof, all of the history and artwork that could have lived on to inspire future generations will forever disappear.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:26:29 PM by lexington1 »

Offline lexington1

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
Sorry James. I was typing as you were posting. You do make a great point!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »
Enclosed are three images of flintlock guns converted to percussion using different principles  which shows the history of the guns , I personally cannot see  why guns like these should be  reconverted back to flint .
Feltwad
A left hand flintlock converted to percussion by Patrick Liverpool Lady Gunmaker

A lock close up of a flintlock conversion

Three flintlock to percussion conversion using the drum and nipple principle
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:49:23 PM by Feltwad »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »
In the end it is the decision of the owner to determine work done on the property they own at the time they own it.  Many rifles and fowlers we admire now have had multiple makeovers. Prime example is the Andreas Albrecht rifle shown as No. 46 in RCA. Using the guidelines of leave as it is due to its history, this should have been either left as it is in RCA, conserved as a percussion or restored as a flint as it was originally built. My personal opinion is that the rifle was very well restored as it could have originally been as made. Again the owner makes the decision on the future of the firearm. Tim

Offline lexington1

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »
Here is what I'm talking about. This Jaeger was literally being broken up for parts when I bought the remainder of it. What you see of the lock is what was left.

Big Wolf

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 10:01:59 PM »
In the end it is the decision of the owner to determine work done on the property they own at the time they own it.  Many rifles and fowlers we admire now have had multiple makeovers. Prime example is the Andreas Albrecht rifle shown as No. 46 in RCA. Using the guidelines of leave as it is due to its history, this should have been either left as it is in RCA, conserved as a percussion or restored as a flint as it was originally built. My personal opinion is that the rifle was very well restored as it could have originally been as made. Again the owner makes the decision on the future of the firearm. Tim

Well said.

This point can be argued to death, the bottom line is that it doesn't matter what you as an individual thinks, it's up to the current owner. Nobody is proposing fraud or enhancing an old gun. Much like glueing cracks or replacing missing chunks of wood, a well done re-conversion restores the longrifle to its original character. If you own one and want to keep it as a converted percussion rifle, by all means do so. But don't tell me what to do with my rifle, it's none of your business.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:34:04 AM by Big Wolf »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 10:26:27 PM »
 Ah, yes, apples, and oranges,  will always make their way into the debate. I was speaking of complete functional guns, that have been converted from flint, to percussion, and back again. Not total train wrecks, rescued from the scrap heap. The restoration shown is totally amazing, I must admit.

Hungry Horse

Offline lexington1

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
On the whole I believe in doing as little as possible to these things. I am 100% in the private property camp too. If you own something it's your right to do with it as you please. I do think that flintlocks are just naturally more appealing than percussions, but if a gun has been converted neatly than I would leave it alone. But a hack job or missing the lock, heck, why not try to make it right?

And now a shameless plug for Ron Luckenbill, Lucky R A of forum fame, who did an amazing resurrection of the Jaeger!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:41:01 PM by lexington1 »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 11:00:59 PM »
That he did!

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:48 PM »
I personally cannot see  why guns like these should be  reconverted back to flint .
Feltwad
I agree and if I owned the gun I would probably make the same decision as you. BUT I know for sure that if I owned that gun and did for some reason pay someone to do a re-conversion on it and later decided to sell it I would never offer it for sale without revealing the re-conversion re-regardless of how good or bad the re-conversion was.

I know that there are many others that would never reveal the restoration unless asked, others that would lie about it. Those kinds of folks have to live with and answer for their own shortcomings.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »
This has turned into a very interesting discussion and I just thought I would give a few of my thoughts.   Being a student of the Kentucky rifle I have always leaned heavily on the writings of Joe Kindig Jr.   I realize that his book is dated and that there has been a lot of new information learned and introduced since 1960, but this subject is not about new facts being presented.        I regret that I never got to meet Joe or even had the opportunity to correspond with him. Even so, I have to say that after getting into this study, I feel I can consider him a true mentor to me on the American longrifle.                                                        In his own words;   "Since imported locks were used on the majority of Kentuckys made after the Revolutionary War, locks are of little or no importance as a detail of any maker's work."         I hold Mr. Kindig's opinions in high esteem.   He called the percussion conversions done to flintlock rifle's  back in the period......"mutilations"   I have a bit more to say, but have some chores to do. Hopefully will get back to finish this reply. and                                                                                                                                                                      
Joel Hall

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 01:41:43 AM »
I'd like to think we've come a long way in the last 50 or 60 years. Kindig was basically expressing contempt for any aspect  he wasn't interested in... if it wasn't made here, it wasn't important. Personally, I find the mechanics of the gun trade more interesting than the nuances of stock carving but it is now virtually impossible to draw any substantive conclusions from surviving long rifles because the overwhelming majority have been fiddled.

We've had a few threads lately bemoaning the lack of new people coming into collecting. I strongly suspect that, aside from the price issue (which may be a red herring), there is also the dramatically increasing interest in all arms collecting in applying to arms the standards common to other areas of antique collecting. One need only look at the forums that deal with collectors of K98k Mausers to find people who decry virtually all "restoration." I doubt there is a single area of collecting where the artifacts have been more fiddled than long rifles and, as such, it is genuinely off putting to collectors looking in from other areas, where this sort of thing is discouraged. Thirty years ago a good friend, perhaps the doyen of Federal period sword collectors, told me he'd like to have a Kentucky rifle (he could afford nearly anything he wanted)... but that he wanted one that was not reconverted or otherwise "improved." He finally bought a converted N. Beyer rifle from a close friend. To my friend, the conversion was the guarantee that the rifle hadn't been messed with.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 04:13:31 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2016, 02:15:07 AM »
One need only look at the forums that deal with collectors of K98k Mausers to find people who decry virtually all "restoration." I doubt there is a single area of collecting where the artifacts have been more fiddled than long rifles and, as such, it is genuinely off putting to collectors looking in from other areas, where this sort of thing is discouraged. Thirty years ago a good friend, perhaps the doyen of Federal period sword collectors, told me he'd like to have a Kentucky rifle (he could afford nearly anything he wanted)... but that he wanted one that was not reconverted or otherwise "improved." He finally bought a converted N. Beyer rifle from a close friend. To my friend, the conversion was the guarantee that the rifle hadn't been messed with.

I'm not a Mauser collector but I would assume there are thousands to choose from. Your friend had maybe twenty or so N. Beyers to make his choice from. I don't think you can compare the two. Kentuckeys  are a different breed. As you say Joe the majority have been fiddled with. They were fiddled with from day one. Most were used and used up! IMO that doesn't take away from there collectability.   That's unfortunate but that's the history of the longrifle.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:03:20 AM by Ky-Flinter »
JIM

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2016, 04:40:34 PM »
 Maybe my take on collecting longrifles is different than others. I don't really consider myself the "owner" of the guns in my collection. I am the caretaker of them, and as such, I feel I have a responsibility to preserve as much of their individual history as I can. When I refer to their history, I mean all their history, not just the part that falls into my realm of interest.

Hungry Horse

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2016, 11:50:50 PM »
I still maintain that there is a world of difference between changes made during an artifacts working life and those made by latter day collectors in order to enhance their value or appearance. These are simply not the same thing at all. Regardless of how good anyone's research is, it is simply impossible to "KNOW" what something looked like 100 years before any of us were born.

Add to that the notion that knowledge continues to grow. I have handled any number of Long and Short Land Pattern British muskets, "restored" by the experts of 40 years ago, that are identifiable across the room as having the wrong parts. But... many of those are still circulating and still miss leading people. Is that really what collectors should want? There are very good reasons why virtually all museums undertake the absolute minimum to stabilize relics. We simply cannot know what will be learned in the future.

gizamo

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2016, 01:48:04 AM »
Curious.

If I propose to stabilize, preserve, conserve ....bag and tag the parts. Make no changes whatsoever or alterations that can not immediately  be restored. 

How have I altered or changed the integrity  of the original?

The unalterable bastardization (is that a word?) Was done by prior hands.

Restoration involves consideration. In consideration we should give some weight to the original intent.  Not alteration

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 02:19:12 AM »
We keep calling the conversions from flint to percussion back in the day hack jobs,mutilations, bastardization and such.Keep in mind that back in the day the flintlock became obsolete and was replaced by newer,better technology. For most it was cheaper to get your gun converted than buy a new one.These where tools like a shovel,pick or your mule.Ever up grade any of your own stuff these days?Me personally I would leave the rifle as it is but its your gun do what you want to it but if it's for profit and you plan on not telling a future owner about a reconversion that's another story.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »
I think most conversions were fairly well done... "workmanlike" might be the best term. Regardless, they were done in period in order to prolong the working life of the gun. I actually find some conversions at least as interesting as the original gun might be... I'm thinking of perhaps the only surviving, untampered with, Cookson fowler (dating from the late 17th century) that remained in everyday use so long that it was converted to percussion. I've seen 1st quarter of the 18th century, silver mounted Queen Anne pistols that were skillfully converted — a real testament to the quality of the original work.

Offline hen

• Starting Member
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
I always make a new flint lock to replace the percussion conversion lock. If it is a drum and nipple conversion, a vent liner replaces the drum; if it is a rebreech conversion I make a new flint breech. All the original parts are left original so both ignition systems are available for use.

Hen. (in the UK)

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »
I like history. When a gun was converted to, and presumably used as, percussion that is part of its history. In my dreadful youth I reconverted a North pistol to flint. Yeah, my workmanship was OK but  in the process I discarded that drum, with the metric threads which North used.

If one collects Kentuckies one has little choice, as the larger number of flint rifles have been reconverted. I personally do not like modern castings stuck on my rifle but it does not stop me from buying it, if I can.

I have a fine carved & engraved (attributed) John Haga, done by replacing the original lock with an unused flintlock, like those Dixie had barrels of in thee 1960's. Try not to think of it. Then two flints one of which I believe original (rifle #3, pp83-84 Dillin) the other either original or an excellent reconversion. I don't intend to run any cameras down the bore to check.

I own two flint rifles converted to percussion and not in my lifetime will anyone mess with their locks.

Oh, and my Bodenheimer (attributed) is an early percussion rifle made using a converted flint lock. Waste not, want . . .

Well, that's sporting rifles. Whether or not you like reconversions, that's mostly what you are stuck with these days. Its one reason I like flints converted to percussion, there is an excellent chance that they are for real.

To me, a military rifle or musket is a different matter. They are not works of art, they are 3D history. For myself, reconverting one to flint does not simply lower the value, it absolutely destroys it. I would not own a reconverted musket any longer than it took to sell at a give-away price.

I like hen's approach, I just doubt that it would be done here in the USA