Author Topic: Odd Left Hand Half Stock Fowling Piece  (Read 3552 times)

The Rambling Historian

Odd Left Hand Half Stock Fowling Piece
« on: March 30, 2016, 10:44:02 PM »

This is estimated $400-$600 at Amoskeag this coming weekend. Anyone recognize it? It has an odd conversion hammer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:44:21 PM by The Rambling Historian »

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Odd Left Hand Half Stock Fowling Piece
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:23 AM »
It's worth that in parts...from the little pic it looks like a flint Siler hammer with a piece in it to detonate percussion caps. Been considering doing that for one of my personal guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »
I did that conversion on a little half stock fowler I built last year. Works just fine. My gun looks a lot like the one pictured but I made a cannon muzzle on mine.
Mark
Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:47:42 PM »
 I just did one of these on an old Dixie York kit that I fell into. The geometry was so bad on this flintlock that it would have required a complete lock replacement, and  the gun just wasn't worth it. I plugged the extra holes with copper wire peened tight on both sides, and brazed a pinch of iron into the jaws of the flint cock, and bored a recess for the nipple. It turned out great, and is a lot of fun when I take it to youth demonstrations, because they can't figure out what it is.

Hungry Horse