Author Topic: Homemade Jeweler's Saw  (Read 8191 times)

Offline dogcatcher

Homemade Jeweler's Saw
« on: April 02, 2016, 06:34:55 PM »
I saw this and in my mind, it is better made than most commercial jeweler's saws.  Stiffer back, better handle and an overall improvement.

http://www.thesmallworkshop.com/2016/03/12/homemade-jewelers-saw/

A video.

Offline alyce-james

Re: Homemade Jeweler's Saw
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »
dogcatcher; sir, thanks for sharing the Jewelers saw information and you tube. Is there an outlet for the purchase of this perfect little work horse ?? Have a great week end. Thanks AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 04:42:08 AM »
dogcatcher; sir, thanks for sharing the Jewelers saw information and you tube. Is there an outlet for the purchase of this perfect little work horse ?? Have a great week end. Thanks AJ.

No seller that I know of, this is a "Make it Yourself" project.   When I get over this triple bypass surgery I plan on trying to make one.   I like to make my own tools almost as much as I my projects.  Usually I make 2 of each, so that each grandkid can have one when I get too old and quit working on the shop.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »
If you enjoy to make your tools that's great but I have better things to do with my time. Some tools or fixtures NEED to be made by the crafts person and other tools just SCREAM to be purchased such as a good jeweler's saw - I prefer the German variety -- have a look here <https://www.riogrande.com/Search/jeweler's-saw> . For around $15.00 you have a VERY GOOD saw - your home made one might take you 3 days to build and may not work the way you think it will. Just my opinion ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

thimble rig

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:39:57 AM »
That was cool I like that.I also like the center finder  he made too.

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
"If you enjoy to make your tools that's great but I have better things to do with my time. "

Like surfing the inet and looking at home made tool threads? LOL. 

The original poster's saw looks like ten times the tool as is offered for 16 dollars in that link. I own that saw and it is far from a quality tool. 

For a hobby activity It NEVER hurts to keep your cash in your pocket and instead use your time to create yours wishes.