Author Topic: Reenactments  (Read 8138 times)

PINYONE

Reenactments
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:39:08 PM »
This entry is related to shooting- recently on the 4th of July I did a small seminar for a Ladies Club in my hometown about 18th century life and reenactments. Dressed the part, I took Rifles- Hawks and Horns for display- it was a lot of fun and interest. I showed photos of some reenactments. afterwards and I had a Q&A segment. Maybe some of you might have the answers. !1 question was - why arn't there any real Indians there and not white people dreesed to look like them? Question 2- one Lady said those Loin Cloths looked inapropriate for young Children to see grown men dressed in those, another lady said indecent. The last one I could answer- a Lady said whats the difference between children playing Cowboys & Indians and the Reenacting- I said the Toys cost alot more- whats your opinion on this topic? I was amazed at a Womans Club point of view. The real Pinyon

Offline T*O*F

Re: Reenactments
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »
>Question 1 was - why arn't there any real Indians there and not white people
>dressed to look like them?

Answer - Because if you get real Indians, you have to pay their travel expenses and give each of them a stipend for showing up.  Supply and demand.

>Question 2- one Lady said those Loin Cloths looked inapropriate for young
>Children to see grown men dressed in those, another lady said indecent.

Answer - If it's like most events, they were both correct.  It's usually the biggest, most overweight guys in camp who wear the smallest breechclouts; and nothing else but a pair of mocs.  Gross is probably more descriptive.

When it's the young studs wearing them, the ladies make sure to get their eyes full.  I've even seen em blush if you catch them oogling.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Edd

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:36:53 AM »
The last one I could answer- a Lady said whats the difference between children playing Cowboys & Indians and the Reenacting- I said the Toys cost alot more- whats your opinion on this topic? I was amazed at a Womans Club point of view. The real Pinyon

The toys cost a lot more. True, but NOT a good answer for the question that you were asked.

In a situation of this type, I think it is better to come straight at folks with your answer.  An answer such as: I realize we might give that impression to some folks. However, we are adults who are teaching others with a living history presentation, in an effort to encourage interest in American history. Follow that comment with: much can be learned from our past and I would like to share our history with as many friends as possible...

Edd

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
i was at a small rendevous years ago and a lady asked me how i got that woodsy smoke smell on me and preceded to ask if it was available in a spray can...when trying to educate the public on our history sometimes you just have to smile and move on to the next question.....lol

northmn

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »
When our club invited the local PBS station to come to our Rondy, I was asked how come we had Tepees and no Indians, (actually we had one but he was dressed in a plaid shirt and bluejeans)  I politely told this bright young individual that Indians are more than welcome, but we just never considered it polite to invite them so they could be decor.  Off the top of my head I can name the White Earth, Blue Earth, Leech Lake, Fon du Lac and Red Lake Reservations in Minnesota.  Red Lake is one of only two sovereign nations, or unconquored lands in the US. Leech Lake's Battle Point is the site of the last native/white battle in the US.  MN is the home of the Anishinaabe or Ojibway as called by whites.  They hold Pow Wows which is their reenactment interest.  Marv (blue jeans and plaid shirt) once threw a tommahawk that hit butt first on the stump.  His comment "I bet you guys thought this was hereditary".   The Principal of the Bug O Nay Gish Shig school explained to a group of us that they have a different view on teaching history in that they teach the history of the Anishinaabe and the recent European influence.  If you think about it a little, the Rondevous celebrates our settlement of the land.  One native lady I used to work with once got a little flustered with me when I was joking with her and told me that had they had stronger immigration laws she wouldn't have to put up with an a$$$ **** like me.   As a rule they have different interests than the Zhaagnaash (whites).  Also we probably would expect them to wear breechcloths and they think that they are kind of gross too.  I do not claim to be an expert on their culures and ways, but I did grow up around them.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »
Ah ,the ignorance of the average 'Touron'.A reenactor term for  'tourist/moron'
that being said, People still think in 21st. cent. terms what is proper or indecent.They are coming to judgements using a modern mindset.

As a F&I French habitant it was common for men to go work in the fields wearingNOTHING<  YES NOTHING  but their shirts. That was expected,  Most adult white males wore a shirt.If you did not, THAT was INDECENT.
If a woman's elbows or shoulders were showing,or her head was uncovered, that was INDECENT. But it did not matter if most of her cleavage was ready to bust out of her stays or jump, or if she wore her petticoats to below her knee's Cause tofor a lady to show her knee's in public was INDECENT.
 In a period  native camp children would not even wear any kind of bottoms,I suppose it was indecent to someone.

As stated all NA people do not care to portray themselves as they were 250 yrs. ago. Those that do portray it very well.As for white guys doing it?Does the term "captive" mean anything? Also those that do do it well, Spending great pains in time , reseach & money for their interpretation.  In the late  18th century there were many assimilated people in the Delaware tribes. I forget the exact numbers.There are many captivity stories for the reading. i enjoys reading those very much,

And for the record: I prefer a brayette/breechclout over breeches most days of the year,  :)Snowy winter months are the exception though.  :( Oh yeah, I know native reenactors that wear a brayette all year round ;)That is PC

Enough of my rambling thoughts, Alex... Soon to be in Fortress Louisborg, wearing breeches like a civilized habitant, along with his wife who will have her head, shoulders & elbows & knee's covered ;)

OOPs, I have skin showing!How indecent of me....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:31:59 PM by alexsnr »
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

William Worth

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
I am led to believe that a common "article of clothing" if you will, at least among the Shawnee, was bear oil.  I would expect that it would do a lot to preserve your hide from everything out there; chiggers, poison ivy, sun and general dehydration, biting bugs and insects....

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 05:58:55 PM »
alex,

Nice outfit, but you need to get that sucker dirty..... you look like you just came from the dry cleaners.
In His grip,

Dane

PINYONE

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »
Hey Longhunters- there was one more comment from a Lady that I actually thought was rather funny- she said back in the 60,s in San Francisco at many of the Love Ins- there were many Hippies who dressed just like the Reenactment Indians with makeup and all. I said there probably alot of these guys were Hippies at one time- I know I was- I was wearing fringed buckskins and beads starting about 65- before I ever got into Blackpowder in 1970. I have a fringed purse that was made for my wife back then and it looks like an 18th century hunting pouch now. I wouldn't  care to go to a large Rock Festival now but a good Blue Grass one will be just fine. I will try to post a picture of my 60's pouch and fringed buckskin coat- If you have ever seen the Gunsmith of Williamsburg- it looks virtually like the one Wallace Gusler wore in the Movie- the one in the Movie was made for him in the Williamsburg Boot and Leather Shop in 1962, I am lucky to have it in my Collection- Pinyon

Offline alex e.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »
Smallpatch, look harder there are plenty of dirt smudges .sweaty leather marks& where I wipe my,fusil ,the coolest it got that weekend was 85*,I had one hecheva 18th. cent. odor going also :)
The King is also generous enough to give us fresh clothing before a campaign begins, But many use last years issue.

i just have not yet fallen head to toe into a vat of walnut dye i guess :D

PINYONE

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:43:04 PM »
Alex- you look mighty period to me- in summer heat I know I have almost cut my sleaves off- but then hope Winter will come soon- we need to have Reeanactments starting in October till Spring. My shirt was was Walnut hull dyed till the red wine hit it one night now it looks like I tie-dyed it. When people ask what happened - I say its an ole 18th century dyeing technique! Pinyon

Offline alex e.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »
Wine &food stains are a fact of life.on my shirts that is true, along with the occasional splash of chartruse :)
 Alex..

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
At our local rondy, Taylor wore braintanned leggings and a clout evey day. No one thought it was indecent - it was an ordinary deal.  To see a trim looking lass wearing clout and leggings is a real treat, fellas.  There is just something about that mode of 'dress' on a lady - one of the guys, kinda - but then, something exotic too. 'Course, she'd laugh at being called exotic - HA! Gotta come to Hefley for that, see you there.