Author Topic: I think I smell week-old fish  (Read 14417 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: I think I smell week-old fish
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 06:54:31 AM »
Well, just let me add this.....In my most recent dabblings I have  found a rifle will have several "nodes" of accuracy as you increase a powder load. Say for a .50 you may find your first accurate load around 55 to 60gr then the group will go all to $#*! untill you get to something like 80 to 95gr and it will start to group again then fall apart after 95gr but reach yet another accurate load at lets say 120gr or more. (all hypothetical loadings)I guess you have to decide which "node" you want to shoot. If I lived where Dan does out west I'd chose the higher nodes and shoot flatter and farther as that is what is required. Or, if I regularly shot in longish range competition I would shoot the bigger loads as well. But I almost always go with the lower accuracy loads here in Iowa, as competition is 100 yards or less and a real long shot on deer is 75 yards.
Learned all this "node" stuff from modern long range tactical shooters shooting 800 to 1000 yards plus. It works for MLs as well....to my amazement actually.... ;D
Nodes.  ;D  I do brass suppository with gray powder load development too. Since I can't see worth a hoot anymore... Well I can see. But seeing two front sights can be confusing :'(.....
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 06:59:27 AM »

[/quote]
Nodes.  ;D  I do brass suppository with gray powder load development too. Since I can't see worth a hoot anymore... Well I can see. But seeing two front sights can be confusing :'(.....
[/quote]

Do like I do; use the gap between the two sights as your front sight.  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 07:08:52 AM »
Except they are often superimposed vertically. So I tend to get vertical stringing.
Can't really trust my shooting when critters are the target.
PITA.... Could learn to shoot left handed I guess.....
Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 02:15:34 PM »
Well, just let me add this.....In my most recent dabblings I have  found a rifle will have several "nodes" of accuracy as you increase a powder load. Say for a .50 you may find your first accurate load around 55 to 60gr then the group will go all to $#*! untill you get to something like 80 to 95gr and it will start to group again then fall apart after 95gr but reach yet another accurate load at lets say 120gr or more. (all hypothetical loadings)I guess you have to decide which "node" you want to shoot. If I lived where Dan does out west I'd chose the higher nodes and shoot flatter and farther as that is what is required. Or, if I regularly shot in longish range competition I would shoot the bigger loads as well. But I almost always go with the lower accuracy loads here in Iowa, as competition is 100 yards or less and a real long shot on deer is 75 yards.
Learned all this "node" stuff from modern long range tactical shooters shooting 800 to 1000 yards plus. It works for MLs as well....to my amazement actually.... ;D
Same problem, I find a scope to be a good solution, well, my only option. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
Mike:

Dan lives well east of the Divide. I live west.
Anything west of the Iowa /Nebraska border is far west in my opinion. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 10:46:09 PM »
Sighting is a real problem for me now.  I've given up shooting pistols; can't see the front sight.  Maybe when I get the cataracts removed.  Scopes are great and I can also use peeps fairly well.  But I simply can't bring myself to put either scope or peep sight on a long rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »
Mike hit the nail on the head. Shot placement means everything. NUMBER two is tracking skill. Especially when you have only one hole an not a pass through. Bigger is only better if you can shoot accurately with it.

Using the big .69 on large game pretty much eliminates the need for tracking skills - although I've learned this skill over the years when using 'other' rifles.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 04:39:54 AM »
Same problem, I find a scope to be a good solution, well, my only option. ;)

I shoot one of those on my service rifle now and can shoot master class.... Expert with irons.

Dan

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 11:02:28 PM »
If we take the  "shot placement is everything" to it's extreme, then a 610 ball out of a slingshot with perfect placement would be deadly!  LOL
Mike Lee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 06:33:08 PM »
If we take the  "shot placement is everything" to it's extreme, then a 610 ball out of a slingshot with perfect placement would be deadly!  LOL

That's not that far-fetched.  A friend of mine had me cast him up some .684's for his home-made slingshot. He used it for cats in his garden- worked every time. At 25 feet, it would put one of those balls through & through 3/16" spruce plywood.
Daryl

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 04:50:51 AM »
.684 out of a slingshot. Between the runnin lights is flat going to do the job. Depending on the animal your hunting.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 08:41:49 AM »
The were Canadian clamp-on WW - so brinel 13 and av. 466gr.  
Years ago - 1977, in Smithers, I used a .45 pure lead round ball on a small black dog that beat up my little puppy - twice, on MY porch.  The ball him between the eyes and it exited out the back of his head. Range - about 10 feet. Commercial Wrist Rocket with the heavy, black surgical tubing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:46:28 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
Ah Daryl,reminds me of the David and Goliath story,well, except it appears Goliath had the slingshot this time,LOL!