Author Topic: Non-bench shooting tips?  (Read 11628 times)

Offline crankshaft

Re: Non-bench shooting tips?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »

light loads.

I don't know how many times I have seen some guy teaching a little kid how to shoot a ML with 70 grains of powder.
 What the idiot taught is .....that hurts.  The kid is probably not interested in that again. 
A T/C Hawken will shoot with 20 or 25 grs. 

Light Loads.....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »
 You mean a T/C Hawkins?
I agree - it will shoot fine to about 30yards.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 05:41:17 PM »
This is awesome guys!  I noticed that when I am resting the gun on a bench the sight picture moves down on inhale.  When shooting off-hand it moves up on inhale.  Normal?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »
It all depends on YOUR holding technique, where the butt plate is on your pectoral muscle, shoulder/arm joint or out on your arm as well as how you are holding the stock with your "off" hand - all give different dynamics effecting movement when breathing - deeply or shallowly.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ddoyle

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »

Beyond control of technique- control of expectations is important. One of the few things I plan for in life is to NOT ever have to shoot anything important from a standing off hand position! I cannot afford the time to stay in form.  It is tough to be good at.

I would not expose kids to the failure of offhand shooting until they were very confident in shooting from a squat (something we fat old guys do not do much but which is an exc hunting position)  and from standing with a  forearm rest. Kids like success.

Once those positions are well learnt and practiced they will have a chance at offhand. Start with doable reactive targets (ballons). No messing around- position feet- mount rifle- sight- fire a well aimed round.  Then a few hundred rounds later add a sling and paper. Success begets success.

Maybe introduce the idea of applying pressure to the trigger when on target and not releasing that pressure when they drift off- drift back on apply more pressure. IMHO it should always be a surprise when the rifle goes off- But not when your ball goes where it was intended.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
As someone who has only used the offhand position for hunting. I've had a bit of practice in 62 years of hunting and hundreds of animals taken. I also have won many BP shoots. I absolutely love shooting off hand, and would never consider shooting any other way.

I can't add a lot to what has already been said, except one point about breathing. First off my position is pretty much like Daryl's. Even the pointed finger which I did naturally as a kid. It's almost like pointing where the bullet is going. I also agree it's impossible to hold steady, so I don't even try to. I make sort of a figure eight layed down sideways with the target right at the middle of the eight. I pull the trigger that section of the eight. I did say pull. Maybe a squeeze pull, but definitely a pull. A slow squeeze is for much steadier positions that can be held steady. Of course the squeeze/pull must be made so it doesn't disturb the sight alignment. You're trying to time the pull of the trigger as the front sight passes the center of the figure eight. You have a nano second to get that done. A slow squeeze won't work for repeatable accuracy.

You also have to time one more thing. Breathing! I didn't read anybody doing it my way, so i'll mention it. Taking breaths, letting half of it out and holding never worked for me. It created tension for me. If you take notice of your breathing you see that you pause between breathing out and in. Thaqt's when you want to shoot. At the natural pause. Breath out....pause...breath in. The pause it natural and not forced, or even thought about. You don't want to think about it, except at first. Then it will be forgot in time and you'll shoot at that pause without thinking.

The last tip and the maybe the most important. Practice practice practice. It takes a lot of it to be a good offhand shooter, but I find it rewarding. It's also the fastest way to shoot while hunting. I'm a still hunter and most of my shots are taken fast. I don't have time to get into any other position. This forced me to become a good offhand shooter, and i'm glad it did.