Author Topic: 1st Build mostly complete  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Chowmi

1st Build mostly complete
« on: April 15, 2016, 05:28:20 AM »
This is a TOTW Ohio Vincent Rifle in .50 Cal. 
I bought it 3 years ago as a learning kit for future builds.  It spent an awful lot of time sitting aside while I had 3 job changes and 2 house moves, but it is now just about complete.  I still have to dull the sheen on the stock and repair a few errors in the build. 
This gun has served it's purpose as a learning tool, and I will freely admit that I hurried parts of it, and there are errors that should have been fixed on the spot, but let go. 

Stain is ferric nitrate, then LMF maple brown, permalyn sealer and Chamber's traditional oil finish.  Barrel and lock  was browned with AF, then rust blued in distilled water.  I need to re-address the hammer, as some of the blue pretty much wiped off with a cotton cloth.  oops. 

This rifle shows 3 years of learning, and now I look at mistakes I made in early days and vow not to do it again! 
Looks pretty from a distance, errors are evident up close!  But...  It's mine and it's done!!!

IMG_3492 by chowmif16, on Flickr

IMG_3484 by chowmif16, on Flickr

IMG_3499 by chowmif16, on Flickr

IMG_3502 by chowmif16, on Flickr

IMG_3489 by chowmif16, on Flickr

IMG_3488 by chowmif16, on Flickr

Here's a link to my photostream of the build:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskm48Kpc

Next project is a Chamber's Isaac Haines in .54 as well as a Christian Springs Rifle at the WKU seminar with Jack Brooks.  Planning on doing something similar to RCA #43

Cheers,
Norm

Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: 1st Build mostly complete
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:33:26 AM »
Lookin' pretty good, congrats on getting that one "out of the way".  Now the challenge is to build one with less mistakes and also to learn from those. 

And so on...  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:05 AM »
1st. gun, you done good Chowmi. Hope that cresent butt plate don't bite too hard in 50 cal. Nice wood and workmanship for a first rifle. Have fun with the next one.

Hemo

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 06:06:15 AM »
I'd say you did a pretty nice job especially for a first build! Any mistakes are always the most obvious to the maker.

Gregg

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:49:43 AM »
Not bad for your first gun.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 02:23:10 PM »
Looks good to me. You should see my first gun! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

thimble rig

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
I think you did an awesome job on youre first build.Looks better than my first build.Keep up the good work.

Offline KC

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
That's a great looking gun. I like those Vincent rifles, I have a similar one, it's an original but I don't think it's a Vincent. It has a lock marked "Biddle". I hope to post it here sometime and let the experts help learn more about it.

I really like the color, you did a great job with the finish. Everything about it looks nice to me. Have you shot it yet?
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
Mistakes happen Chow and you probably won't repeat those on your next project, just make different ones ;D.
I like Vincent rifles and yours is a nice one!!! Good work!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »
Pretty good lookin gun Chow. You should be proud. We get to learn from each one.... the joy of the addiction!!   ;)  :o :o ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and comments fellas. 
I learned a lot from this gun.  The biggest lesson of all was about slowing down, and having a plan.
Many other lessons about process and technique as well.

I have not shot it yet, but will likely go for it this weekend.  We are having a late season snow today!

Addiction is correct!  I've already started draw filing the barrel on my Chambers Isaac Haines!

Cheers,
Chowmi
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

CoSnipe

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 06:44:05 PM »
Beautiful rifle,nice work. I like it.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
I agree with everyone else. Looks great. Love the color of the stock. Gunbuilding is a journey, you learn as you go, become more wise. Of course there's cursing and frustration too. But again, part of the journey.