Author Topic: Don Brown of Yakima, WA  (Read 5080 times)

Offline culper

• Starting Member
Don Brown of Yakima, WA
« on: April 18, 2016, 05:04:26 AM »
Does anyone know of Don Brown of Yakima, WA?  Evidently, he was a flintlock rifle maker but I can't find a whole lot of info on him. 

Was he a good maker?  Thanks

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Don Brown of Yakima, WA
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
Does anyone know of Don Brown of Yakima, WA?  Evidently, he was a flintlock rifle maker but I can't find a whole lot of info on him. 

Was he a good maker?  Thanks

I knew Don Brown and became aware of him and his work in the February 1987 Muzzle Blasts when John Bivins wrote about him and his Alex Henry reproductions. I met Don for the first time when we picked him up in Sept. 1987 at the Toronto Canada at the airport. The 22nd International ML Matches were held in Kitchener that year.He did make some long rifles but I have never seen one but if they are anywhere near the close attention to detail that Alex Henry rifles were I'd say they are good.
The Henry types of rifles range from round ball deer guns to engraved,fine wood,with precision sights match rifles.Don spent a lot of time and money to bring these rifles from idea to reality. He passed away in 2008 I think at age 80. His shop and equipment to produce the Henry is now owned by Rod England in South Carolina.

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »
Nice tribute, Bob.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:38:21 PM »
I know and shoot with one of the members of the US international team and he had nothing but good to say about Don. Fantastic craftsman was another way he was talked about.

Offline culper

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:35:02 AM »
Thanks gents. 

There is a rather nice rifle of his on the Guns America website that I won't mind having.  Just a bit out of my budget, though.

tabs

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 03:04:58 AM »
I ordered a high grade custom Henry LRT from Don in 2006 or so, it was the last Custom rifle ordered from him and the second to the last one completed right before he passed away at the end of 08 at 80. I used to call him up every few weeks and chit chat with him about ML rifles, he was a fountain of knowledge about the early stuff.  About 6 months before he passed away, he basically said lets finish this rifle up. I could tell that he wasn't as sharp as he was when I first ordered the rifle. Right after I received the rifle he went into the hospital, and several months later he passed away.

His work is exceptional. Early on he did the Pennsylvania long rifles later graduating to the English Henry's.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
I ordered a high grade custom Henry LRT from Don in 2006 or so, it was the last Custom rifle ordered from him and the second to the last one completed right before he passed away at the end of 08 at 80. I used to call him up every few weeks and chit chat with him about ML rifles, he was a fountain of knowledge about the early stuff.  About 6 months before he passed away, he basically said lets finish this rifle up. I could tell that he wasn't as sharp as he was when I first ordered the rifle. Right after I received the rifle he went into the hospital, and several months later he passed away.

His work is exceptional. Early on he did the Pennsylvania long rifles later graduating to the English Henry's.

The last 3 kits from Don's shop went to Sweden. At the request of his widow I made the locks.
The Swede said if the guns didn't have my version of the 4 screw Stanton lock then he didn't want them.
Don didn't like my locks for these guns for whatever reason.They were and are very close copies of the
original I borrowed from Lynton McKenzie in early 1987 after the Muzzle Blasts article came out.
I had one with me in Canada in September of that year and a German bought it instantly when I showed it

Bob Roller