Author Topic: .45 Pedersoli Tryon Creedmore help  (Read 6549 times)

Cafe66

.45 Pedersoli Tryon Creedmore help
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:16:18 PM »
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the sights on these rifles. I have the rear peep sight adjusted as far down as possible and the rounds are still impacting 9" high at 50 yards. I tried a taller post in the front globe site but it makes it almost impossible to see to target because it covers most of it up. Any ideas? Is there a different site than anyone knows that works on this rifle?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: .45 Pedersoli Tryon Creedmore help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
What is your load and how are you shooting it, off the bench,sand bags,cross stix?

Cafe66

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:15 PM »
Hi. Im using 60 grains FFFg and 245 gr minie. Trying to sight it in from a benchrest. My 17 yr old wants to shoot it in YHEC competition (targets are steel set at various ranges from 15 to 75 yards)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:55:18 PM by Cafe66 »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »
I dont know much about the barrel, rate of twist and grove depth, but a round ball might be a good shooter if you do some load development. A round ball might exit the barrel a little faster and be less affected by muzzle jump. It won't hurt to try.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »
It's a bullet gun.  The twist is 1 in 21"  It's not designed to shoot as close as you are wanting.
By its very definition, Creedmore denotes longer ranges, probably starting at 300 yards for this rifle.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Cafe66

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
Thanks Smylee. The trist rate is 1:21 qnd its 32 5/16"long with 5 groves.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »
Lyman makes a very high (and low-or used to) globed front sight with inserts, post, and aperture. Check Track's site for globed apertures since yopu want to shoot it close.
Or- make your own front sight the height you need.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:29:33 PM »
Rules have probably changed in 20 years and due to popularity of "modern" MLs but as I recall when coaching YHEC only round balls were used. You might want check.

YHEC is a great program. Where are y'all located?  We took a Sr team to Whittington Center in ??? 97? 
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:47:14 PM »
I think TOF is probably right... it's not meant to be zeroed at 50, but you can get windage dialed in, at least.  I'll bet she is a lot of fun to shoot at 300+ yards.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Cafe66

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 11:53:41 PM »
Lyman makes a very high (and low-or used to) globed front sight with inserts, post, and aperture. Check Track's site for globed apertures since yopu want to shoot it close.
Thanks Daryl I will look into the Lyman. Thats what I was hoping might be available.

Cafe66

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 11:57:44 PM »
Rules have probably changed in 20 years and due to popularity of "modern" MLs but as I recall when coaching YHEC only round balls were used. You might want check.

YHEC is a great program. Where are y'all located?  We took a Sr team to Whittington Center in ??? 97? 
TC
I agree it's a great program. We were out at the Whittington center last summer. Amazing time for the whole team. As to the rules, yes they have changed-they can use in-line muzzleloader's and any bullet or ball up to 350 grains with 60 grains of powder

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 12:23:06 AM »
A 1:21 twist in a 45 caliber barrel is a wee bit tighter that the 1:22 of the Trapdoor Springfield.
The TD Springfield bested the legendary 577-450 Martini-Henry at all ranges at a place called Sandy Hook
in the 1870's. This was done with the 500 grain bullet,actually 525 and a compressed load of 70 grains of 1fg.
The Martini had an 85 grain charge and a 480 grain paper patches bullet and a supposedly better rifling system.
You may have to up the powder charge and bullet weight to get what you should from this Pedersoli Tryon Creedmoor.Get a Lyman 451114 mould that weighs about 450 grains.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
Thanks Daryl I will look into the Lyman. Thats what I was hoping might be available.

Get the Lyman 17A with whatever height needed and THEN a set of Lee Shaver's sight inserts for it.
He Publishes the Single Shot Exchange in addition to other endeavours.

Bob Roller

Cafe66

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 05:48:05 PM »
Bob Roller that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you