Author Topic: determining where the rear sight(fixed dovetail sight) on the barrel  (Read 6280 times)

patkinson

Does anyone have a method for determining where to mount the rear sight ,especially for older shooters?   Thanks

Offline alyce-james

Re: determining where the rear sight(fixed dovetail sight) on the barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:31:40 AM »
Good evening; sir, for myself and at the request of older shooters I hang with, the method I use is as follows: I use double sided tap in the top area flat of the barrel. Set sight on tape at point of aim on target face and check for clear vision. If not clear move sight forward as needed until vision is clear for these old eyes. (Strike 10 ring). Mark location on tape and cut sight dovetail in for rear sight location. Rejoin shooting at next weeks shoot and have a great time. Works for me. AJ.   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 03:43:06 AM »
And a darn good method it is alyce-james.  :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 03:55:05 AM »
candle snuffer; Thanks. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:34:09 AM »
I do about the same as candle snuffer but move the rear sight about an 1/8 inch forward from the marked position to factor in the next 10 years and I like to do all this outside and not in my shop because the outside light always seems to be different and thats where we do our shooting anyway.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 04:38:50 AM »
 I use a piece of a refrigerator magnet, or a piece of a magnetic business card. Stick it on the barrel, and stick the sight to it. You can move it around easily, until you find the sweet spot.

Hungry horse

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 04:58:04 AM »
Outdoors light is important. I prefer a bright overcast day. I also avoud the balance point because I hate having that sight under hand while carrying.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 06:13:09 AM »
I do about the same as candle snuffer but move the rear sight about an 1/8 inch forward from the marked position to factor in the next 10 years and I like to do all this outside and not in my shop because the outside light always seems to be different and thats where we do our shooting anyway.

Exact-a-mently Sir Grouch
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 06:19:09 AM »
Outdoor light, absolutely. Also, I like the 1/8th inch forward from the mark to factor in the eye aging process. Good info SG, I had not thought of that.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »
Outdoors light is important. I prefer a bright overcast day. I also avoud the balance point because I hate having that sight under hand while carrying.
The way my eyes seem to be getting I won't have to worry about the balance point , the rear site will be right behind the front one,LOL

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 04:35:58 PM »
Some of the rear sight casting sold need to be opened up a bit also and I would also open the sight notch on those before cutting the dovetail as you will see more light through them when opened up.

Offline hudson

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »
I like the ideas on moving rear sight, had not thought of adding a little extra.
The one thing mentioned I have found a big help is opening up that rear sight notch. Get some light around that front blade.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 05:34:45 PM »

At some point, which is here now, there is NO position where either of the sights are clear, unless wearing .5 diopter reading glasses.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »
I know it's not traditional but I have taken that florescent green paint and carefully out lined the rear notch and painted the front blade end the same only in florescent orange.Modern hand gun sights are framed this way and if it helps why not.Rather be a little non traditional than look into an empty freezer

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 05:39:34 AM »
On existing rear sights that have become blurry to me, I have widened more then one to pickup a better sight picture rather then re-cut another sight dovetail and fill the old one. I also have replaced my front brass sight with thicker brass. It keeps me in the game so to speak, for now.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »
For what it is worth, most original guns seem to have the rear sight placed just above the rear RR pipe, which ends up being somewhere around 12" from the breech.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »
For what it is worth, most original guns seem to have the rear sight placed just above the rear RR pipe, which ends up being somewhere around 12" from the breech.

The few guns I made for myself were 99% finished and THEN I slid the rear sight along the barrel until it was clear to MY eyes. There is NO uniformity on custom made personal rifles.The last 3 had folding,calibrated peep sights.That was simply the simple opening of a hole in a disc until I could see the front sight.

Bob Roller