Author Topic: Original British pistol barrel  (Read 2065 times)

Offline T*O*F

Original British pistol barrel
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
I just posted a really neat pistol barrel in the for sale section.  I would prefer any discussion of it take place here rather than there.  It was arsenal refit a couple of time and has all then stampings, proofs, and names associated with it.  I'll transfer the pictures here directly.  The bore calipers out at around .738.

Multiple stampings of re-proofs.

Aftermarket captive ramrod which comes with it.

Barrelmakers name is Turner, but I can't make out the first initial.  Possibly a T.

U stamping.  Underlug has been ground off at some point, but easily replaced.

G. Allen on bolster.  JA across seam.  E8 on tang.

B4 and crown

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:46:44 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

brokenflint

Re: Original British pistol barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:38:34 PM »
TOF

What exactly would this build into?  Got any ref photo links to give and idea?

Offline T*O*F

Re: Original British pistol barrel
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:49:09 AM »
I'm hoping that Feltwad can answer that question.  Phil Ackerman told me it was from a British Revenuer's pistol and a friend from England told me something different, but its been too long and I can't remember what.  I'm sure it would build into something like a Sea Service pistol, but of the land based variety.  Sorry, no pics.

I think the adventure would be researching all the markings and arsenal marks and do from there.  Thomas Turner was a pistol and barrelmaker so he could be a place to start.  Don't know if he had military contracts or not.

George Allen was a gun and pistol maker, gun barrel maker and gun lock maker.  An 1860 advertisement stated "Guns restocked and repaired and every article to the gun trade supplied on the shortest notice."  Perhaps he had the pistol in his shop for refit or repair.

Both names could lead to what type of pistol it was.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson