Author Topic: Percussion back to Flint  (Read 4337 times)

gizamo

Percussion back to Flint
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »
Not a reconversion. The original percussion  conversion has been preserved and kept intact. It can be reinstalled in a matter of an hour or two.  A new liner was built to the exact dimensions of the percussion drum.

A new lock plate was made and fit to the gun. A new set of parts are fit to that plate. All were made to fit the existing set  trigger.

The percussion  lock as found....

Today was the first test fit and function test of the new lock. You can see the outline of the start of engraving. Also the start of the aging process.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:26:02 AM by gizamo »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Percussion back to Flint
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »
I like it just as well or better with the original lock in it. Seems like alot of work to accomplish what exactly?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

gizamo

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »
Living History events...percussion locks are non existent in the time periods that I am involved with. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
In my area, you can only use flintlocks for muzzleloading buck season.  Thought about doing this myself.  Why would it take
1-2 hours to pull a lock and replace the drum with a liner to go back to percussion?  Nice job BTW
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:08:51 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

gizamo

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »
The liner had to be made to fit the barrel. The touch hole had to be drilled at a slight angle.  You would have to drill it and use a easy out to remove it. After that you could install the original parts. Might get it done in less then an hour....

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
 It is quite obvious that the original lock on this gun was built as a flintlock, but there is no stock relief for the cock, to indicate a flintlock ever was used on this gun. If you look at the picture with the new lock in place, you can see where the finish is scraped by the cock of the flintlock. This leads me to believe that either, this gun never saw service as a flintlock, and was indeed built with a converted lock. Or, It was a flintlock that was damage and restocked, and at that time was converted to percussion. or of course the other possibility is this lock is not original to this gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
Another possibility....It may have had an english export lock in the "French" style where  the cock rests against the fence when at rest instead of the lock plate.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

gizamo

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:31:39 AM »
Who would you gents...recommend to finish engrave the lockplate - to match the original?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:49:09 AM by gizamo »

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »
The lock plate ought to be case hardened, in which case it can't be engraved. If it isn't, it should be as this was to minimize wear on the shaft of the tumbler.