Author Topic: 16 gauge barrel seems crooked  (Read 4027 times)

Offline stuart cee dub

16 gauge barrel seems crooked
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
 Good morning all ,
 I need some advise .
Gathering together parts for a 16 gauge fowler ,I noticed something odd in the barrel which I had made some years ago .
Looking down the barrel with the breech plug removed , I noticed, about half way down instead of nice even concentric rings there seems to be an oval shaped reflection when viewing it pointed at a single light source .
When I turn the barrel the reflection moves with the barrel and is area specific .I'm thinking the barrel has  a crook in it.
Is that what I'm seeing? and if so does anyone straighten barrels?
Sending it back to the original maker is not a realistic option anymore .And it's not something I want to attempt myself.  
Suggestions ?  
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:19:18 PM by stuart cee dub »

Offline FlintFan

Re: 16 gauge barrel seems crooked
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »
I would build and shoot it first.  Straightening a barrel is not too big of a deal, but you might find out it doesn't actually need it. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »
So long as its not dented you should be fine. You might run a tight patch down it and check that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »
Stretch a piece of dental floss through it and see if it's bent.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:01:39 AM »
With the oval reflection, I wonder if the barrel has been compressed into an oval shape at that spot?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 01:16:55 AM »
 Good idea on the dental floss .As is the patch .I might feel it as well .
I have read that  this was the old way of checking straightness.
How does one go about making the string  taunt ? Is there a method ? Otherwise I'll widget something up
 I'll caliper the outside to see if it's out of round too .
There are no dents obvious to the eye.
I just  hate to spend the time making a gun around mystery barrel.
It may shoot just fine ,or not .But I would rather check on things before it becomes a bigger issue .

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:18:18 AM by stuart cee dub »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
 I have a barrel straightening press that I use. Let me tell you this first. Unless a barrel is bent to extreme it will shoot where ever the last 6" is pointing. Otherwise it has to be bad enough to deform the bullet. I just straightened a shotgun barrel for a friend about 30 days ago. He tried to
it by bending it in a trailer hitch.  When he got done it shot 20" low at 20 yards.
 You don't have to draw a thread or wire down the inside of the barrel. Just tape a thread or wire across the middle of the  muzzle. What you want to see is the shadow of the string in the bore. If the shadow is straight the barrel is also. Old time barrel straighteners looked at the bore with the barrel pointed at the edge of a window pane. The edge of the widow made a shadow down the bore. They watched the shadow.  That is only one way but the most commonly used in the late 1800's
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:54:25 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
If you want to check it with a taunt string, tie the ends to a bowed stick after dropping it through the barrel. You will now have a straight edge, the string, inside the barrel......... Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »
I tried the string trick ,it does have a slight bend .It will probably throw the ball High right if I'm reading it right.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 06:56:45 PM »
  Old time barrel straighteners looked at the bore with the barrel pointed at the edge of a window pane. The edge of the widow made a shadow down the bore. They watched the shadow.  That is only one way but the most commonly used in the late 1800's

Les Bauska had his barrel straightening machine aligned with the window. After some brief instruction, I straightened a pile of barrels in very little time using this machine - summer 1975.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V