Author Topic: Percussion caps  (Read 15606 times)

Offline utseabee

Percussion caps
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:58:54 AM »
I have been shooting flintlocks my entire life, but I just had a Hawken built in percussion. My question is, are all percussion caps pretty much the same or is one brand better than the others? Just curious which type to buy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline snapper

Re: Percussion caps
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:40:11 AM »
I use only CCI magnums.

I think most folks will shoot what they can get for as cheap as they can.

I you are a target shooter, you might want to stay with one brand

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:19:06 AM »
I have used most brands and take what I can get. The CCI's are just a tad smaller in diameter so I need a tapered nipple when I use them.

Online Don Steele

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:18:24 PM »
I shot caplocks exclusively for 25 yrs before shifting my emphasis to flint. I still shoot them occasionally. 
During that time, I tried a number of different caps. I came to the conclusion that Dynamit Nobel 1075's are the finest caps available.
Others work , but all I buy anymore are the 1075's. They can be difficult to find. They're definitely not the cheapest option. 
When I'm down to my last 2-3 hundred, I'll go out on the 'net searching and order another 1000.
I've been reading a lot lately about the NEW production of Remington caps being pretty good. Have not tried them, but if I get to needing caps and can't locate my 1075's, I'll give 100 of those a try next.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
Hi,
I have been shooting percussion for over 45 years.
My #1 choice by far is  RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 caps.
They are uniform, hot, and excellent quality.
But harder to find, but make every effort to get them.
I have tried others, Remington, CCI, and others, but they really do lack consistency.
I would like to use Remington caps as they are more affordable and easier to obtain, but their consistency was seriously lacking, as the previous post mentioned, they are supposed to be better.
CCI never impressed me.
Best regards
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:04 PM »
Same here, Dynamit Nobel 1075 for me. Most dependable cap I've ever used for the past 20+ years or so. Had I not been able to get the CCI caps, I would never have used the Dynamit Nobel 1075's, but what a fortunate turn of events for me as I didn't think any cap could replace a CCI, but Dynamit Nobel 1075's surely do.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
The Kittery Trading Post wants $10 plus shipping for 100ea. 1075 caps. Anyone know of another source? They are the only source that pops up with a Google search.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Longone

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »
Anyone using Winchester brand?  Comments?

Longone

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
I have been shooting flintlocks my entire life, but I just had a Hawken built in percussion. My question is, are all percussion caps pretty much the same or is one brand better than the others? Just curious which type to buy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

When I first started out shooting black powder it was with a Hawes .44 cal cap & ball revolver in the mid 60's and used Navy Arms brand caps which were not very reliable then went to CCI. The this last year I am using Remington caps -- no problems ;) Use what you can get ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline ScottH

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:22 PM »
For my John Bergmann custom hawken .54 I have been alternating between CCI #11 Magnum and RWS 1075+ caps. Honestly I can't tell much difference. The CCI I can buy for about $6 per hundred while the RWS are about $10 - $11 per hundred. Last shooting session I tried a couple of the "new" Remington #11 and they fired instantly as well. As far as fit on the nipple, the RWS are the tightest, then the CCI and the Remington seem to be the loosest or largest diameter cap.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 09:43:40 PM »
I have never seen percussion caps produced by Winchester. I have seen, and used, Remington caps ( not my favorite) they are the loosest of any I 've used, and the foil liner sometimes plugs the nipple.

Hungry Horse

Offline utseabee

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »
Thanks for all the information. I think I will try some of the 1075 caps and then go from there.
John
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Longone

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 02:09:27 AM »
Hungry Horse,
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com
Then click on primers then Winchester.

Longone

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 07:04:41 PM »
I use what I can obtain and alter the nipple if need be, to fit the caps I can find locally.  Currently I am using CCI #10's (just picked up another 1,000) excellent caps which are VERY similar to the RWS caps.  The nipple on my .69  needed a bit of a trim to fit them well (lathe & file or electric drill in the bench vice & file). I like them snug and after placing the cap on the nipple, I let the hammer down onto the cap, then push the hammer forward to fully seat the cap if they are a bit snug. I like all caps, except for the blue plastic tin of Italian caps. Maybe not, but they always struck me as being corrosive (chlorates) - maybe or not.  I don't know or perhaps I can't remember why I ever thought that. 

There were some of those at the gun show last weekend for sale, couple thousand - saw them and did not buy them, although they were $5.00 per C & no sales tax.  I was tempted but the alarm bells were ringing in my head so I passed them up.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »
  I just found a tin of Remington caps that we bought back in the '60's, for shooting our heirloom Mississippi Rifle.  100 caps for $1.65.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 11:04:02 PM »
I have more ignition issues with #11 caps than flint.  CCI is good.   I have a stock of old Remington that works OK.   I have some old DGW that are iffy.  I have used the plastic toy caps with success.  Years ago I used to make caps with a Forester Tap-o-Cap device.  That was pretty hard up.  These days I think you have to make do with what you can get.  It make me more inclined to make flint locks. 

When reliability matters I use musket caps.  They absolutely make a big difference, there is no question about it.  I have a 4-gauge with a drum on the side.  It is not reliable with #11s.  It is 100% with the musket caps.  They are also easier to handle than the little caps. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 05:07:16 AM »
I found that sometimes the odd Remington Cap would lose it's fulminate in the tin. That is a pain in the arse.
Daryl

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
Daryl!
You are not supposed to put those caps in an area that could cause you pain! ::)
There are other places better suited. ;D
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 02:22:16 AM »
I will have CCI regular No. 11 at Friendship in June for 60.00/M
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
(electric drill in the bench vice & file)

Dang Daryl I thought you were from Canada not West Virginia ;D

Tim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »
LOL- used the poor man's lathe for many years. Even made a 'primer nipple' with that method, when living in Smithers. It used small pistol or small rifle magnum primers. Worked very well. That was when caps were not available. I also experimented with the Forester Tap-O-Cap, making my own and the 'pill-lock' compound for making my own detonating mixture.  5-1-1- mix - not safe, apparently & VERY corrosive.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:43:27 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

McBullet

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 05:47:22 AM »
I have been using CCI's for several years and never misfired. Bought the NEW Remington caps, and had 3 misfires during deer season (bad word) and 5 during my last voo shoot. I trashed the Remngtons. I do have to pinch the CCI's on my trade rifle to get a snug fit on the npple.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 03:01:05 AM »
The local Academy Sports chain carries CCI standard #11. When they have em they are $4.99 plus tax per 100. I was in there about a month ago and they had a bunch. I bought 1000. In there again a few days ago and 900 where hanging off the pegboard.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 04:34:19 AM »
Longone; Sir, Winchester # 11 caps purchased and shipped from a Kansas supplier will cost = $6.00 per 100 (1 tin) plus $28.50 for " Additional Hazardous Material Shipping". I seldom use caps however when I do I use "CCI". AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 09:47:49 PM »
I also use CCI Magnums on the occasions I shoot percussion.  I've never been able to tell any difference using various brands/types.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.