Author Topic: Samuel Gehrett  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Samuel Gehrett
« on: May 06, 2016, 02:55:35 AM »
 I'm interested in seeing some rifles by this maker. Does anyone have some photos they can share ?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:49:01 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Samuel Gehrett
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »
If you don't want to post them for public consumption, then I'm hopeful that someone would be willing to email them to me.
Gehrett moved to the village of Elderton in mid life and I have some property 4 miles from there.  It would be great to see
his work.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Turkeygus

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:33:26 AM »
I recently acquired a J. F. Gehrett rifle. Any connection?

Offline Loudy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:55 PM »
Shreckmeister,

I will try to dig up some gun photos for you.  Pretty sure I have some filed away somewhere.  In the meantime, below is the bio information I have on gunsmith Sam Gehrett.  Hope you find it of interest.  FYI... I don't have any info on a "J. F. Gehrett".     

Loudy

Samuel Gehrett
Born:  December 24, 1788, Alsace Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
Died:  October 30, 1854 Edenton, Plum Creek Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
Buried:  Stone Church Cemetery, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania

Samuel Gehrett was the son of Henry Gehrett and Christina Heckman. 

Samuel Gehrett is listed in the 1814 and 1815 tax records as a gunsmith in Haines Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania.

Dr. James Whisker has stated that Samuel Gehrett may have been associated with gunsmiths Zachariah Albright, Sr. and Nicholas Shenefelt.  In 1817 through 1843 Samuel Gehrett is listed in the tax records for Union Township, Huntingdon County,Pennsylvania.  He lived there near Nicholas Shenefelt.  Gehrett went to Armstrong County about 1845.  In 1849 he is on the tax records in Plum Creek Township, Armstrong County.  He is listed in the 1850 census, age 61, occupation “Gunsmith”. 

Samuel Gehrett died on October 30, 1854 of chronic bronchitis.  He was buried at the Stone Church Cemetery.  An auction was held after Samuel’s death.  A set of gunsmith tools was appraised at $5, but was not sold.  Other items of interest sold at this auction included:

2 augers, $.37; lot of iron, $.13
9 gunstocks, $.58; grindstone, $3
blacksmith vice, $6.37; vice $3.87
2 curled maple planks, $.25
lot gunsmith’s planes, $.50
powder horn, $.39; turning lathe, $.35
rifle run, $14.65; rifle gun, $13.70
gun mountings, $.26; gun barrel, $2
gunstock pattern, $.12
3 gunlocks, $2.25; 2 lots files, $0.79
2 blacksmith’s files, $0.70
Source: James B. Whisker 

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Armstrong County, Plum Creek Township
Samuel Gherritt, age 61, occupation “Gunsmith”, b. PA; Sarah, age 40; Catherine, age 21; Amos, age 15; Henry Beaver, age 15.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:20:09 PM »
Shreckmeister,

Do you have a copy of the book "The Kentucky Rifle & Me" by Edith Cooper?  I think there are photos of a Sam Gehrett rifle or two in it (?).  I will verify this evening. 

Loudy

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:16 PM »
Loudy,   I don't have the book.  I've never seen an example of his work in the area.  We are having an antique muzzleloader show
in Armstrong County at the Pony Farm Rod and Gun Club April 22nd.  Maybe one will show up.  Thank you.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »
Shreckmeister,
There is a nice Gehrett rifle featured on page 42 of the Edith Cooper's book entitled "The Kentucky Rifle & Me".  However, it's a "J. F. Gehrett" rifle, not a Samuel Gehrett rifle.  Jacob F. Gehrett was born abt. 1836 and worked in Orbisonia, Huntingdon Co., PA.  I have no idea if there was any sort of connection between these two gunsmiths.  Hope somebody else jumps in here with additional information.
Loudy   

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 01:06:45 AM »
Rob,  Emails sent. No S G, just J F.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com