Author Topic: Long rifle identification help  (Read 5561 times)

HRobert5

Long rifle identification help
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:29:12 AM »
Excuse my ignorance; I am totally new to this. My Dad collected but until last week all I had was a Pennsylvania (?) rifle that was passed down to me. Last weekend at an estate yard sale I bought a long rifle for next to nothing. It has a lot of silver inlays, including a bird and what appears to be a seal. It seems smallish in proportion to me; L.O.P. is 11-1/2" to the hair trigger.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:55:26 AM by HRobert5 »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Long rifle identification help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:23:41 AM »
Hi and welcome!  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

This will help you post photos.
Andover, Vermont

HRobert5

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 04:27:24 AM »
Hi and welcome!  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

This will help you post photos.
That works great!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:56:19 AM by HRobert5 »

HRobert5

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:54:30 AM »
You may or may not notice but almost half of the inlays are painted red.

Bennypapa

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
Do you have any idea what caliber it is or maybe a picture of the muzzle?

The "seal" inlay on the right stock cheek is interesting .

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:51:20 PM »
The unusual inlays, and the fact that some of them have been painted red, could point to Native American ownership, or possibly even manufacture. The small size could indicate it was built for a youth, or a woman. The gun could also have been used in some part of the Arctic where thick clothing would dictate a shorter pull length.

Hungry Horse

HRobert5

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »
I agree; I figured up front it was maybe a youth or ladies gun. Pretty ostentatious hearts and diamonds motif. My wife suggested a gambler. I never thought of the Arctic; I thought maybe Pacific Morthwest. And I had considered the Native American ownership; not manufacture though. Thanks guys.

HRobert5

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »
Do you have any idea what caliber it is or maybe a picture of the muzzle?

The "seal" inlay on the right stock cheek is interesting .

It is approximately .40 caliber. I haven't put the calipers on it yet but a .40 S&W bullet fits in nearly to the case mouth. I carry a .40 so I had a cartridge on me when I bought it. That would be nice my Pennsylavania rifle I inherited from my Dad is a .40 also and I have molds etc. for it.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
 Diamonds are common on guns from the Carolinas, while the "distelfink" or thistle finch is a Pennsylvania Dutch design. The seal is not unheard of, but is not at all common, and the heart is mostly associated with late percussion guns. Some of the other inlays are a little hard to distinguish, but may hold clues to this guns origins. My overal impression from what I can see in your pictures is that this gun probably wasn't built by a full time working gunsmith.

Hungry Horse

HRobert5

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Seemed either a rough frontier made gun or an amateur effort by the 'fit and finish'. Cool old gun though. Gonna adorn my log wall oposite the other one. :)

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:54:18 AM »
If you have not already done so look carefully at the top flat from just behind the rear sight and back.  Generally this is the area where the maker would have signed the gun. It could be a stamp, signature, or just some letters.  Also, is there anything stamped on the lock?  Another place to look is on the bottom flat since some barrel makers signed their work in this position.  These marks can be very difficult to see, especially the top flat so look carefully with strong light.  Best Regards, Jack

HRobert5

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 12:32:02 AM »
I had already looked; there is a slanted, script S followed by about a 3/8" gap and what may be a C or an O. Just to much corrosion to tell more and those are very faint.  Is there any way to clean that area without ruining the patina?