Author Topic: How a broken stock affects value?  (Read 3388 times)

Pottsy

How a broken stock affects value?
« on: May 09, 2016, 02:37:19 AM »
This is my first post so please excuse my ignorance and I hope I do not offend anyone with my questions.

There is a John Krider half stock rifle for sale. Stock is completely broken at the wrist - not just a crack. Hardware is holding it together. Rifle appears to be in great shape other then the broken stock - complete including rear flip up site. I think it may be one of the custom rifles he built for a club. Inlay on stock looks very close to identical to one I saw on the internet.

My questions for the experts:
1. If it can be repaired has the collectability been destroyed and is nothing more than a wall decoration?
2. I am guessing it is a $3k rifle without the break - what is it with the break and a repair?
3. If it was restocked is it worth it - I am looking down the road when I finally liquidate my guns or my wife dies.
4. If one was so inclined could it still be a shooter after a repair to the stock?

Appreciate the help.

Online Hungry Horse

Re: How a broken stock affects value?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »
A lot would depend on the type of break, and the caliber of the gun. Krider made some large caliber plains type rifles, some with back action locks. If this is what you are talking about, shooting it might be problematic. I examined a Krider years ago with similar damage. It was .58 cal. With a back action lock, and a  short barrel of about 28" that was 1-1/4" across the flats. This guns short forearm, and heavy barrel, combined with the inherent issues common with a back action lock, forced me to pass it up. I was focused on shootable antiques back then, and didn't see this gun as ever being safely shootable.

Hungry Horse

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:49:14 AM »
Restocking would destroy the value.

A good restoration, preferably with hide glue NOT epoxy, would be nice.

Pottsy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:45:11 AM »
Followup.

Gun sold this eve for $175.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 03:26:27 AM »
Followup.

Gun sold this eve for $175.

Sounds like the buyer may come out alright if he's getting/doing a good restoration.  Let us all hope it gets a GOOD restoration, or is left un-fixed.
Hold to the Wind