Author Topic: What smooth rifle/shotgun kit for a young man just starting?  (Read 2273 times)

Offline 3 swans

I have young man that just lost his father this week. His father and I were going to work on a buck and ball gun for him to hunt with. Need some help with what to start with and directions to go. It can be a good kit or parts to build from scratch. Thanks a bunch guys. flintlock and 20 ga. If this is the wrong place, please move to correct place.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:06:51 AM by 3 swans »

Offline Kermit

Re: What smooth rifle/shotgun kit for a young man just starting?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:48:38 AM »
Is he starting out shooting or starting out building? Or both? Single or double barrel? Flint or percussion. We can make recommendations that fit our individual orientations, but some more info might help with the focus.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

JoeG

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:58:15 AM »
Hard to beat a good North west Trade Gun for an all around hunting weapon

Offline 3 swans

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 04:52:19 AM »
He wants to hunt with the gun and wants something to use both shot and ball. I will lead in putting it together with his help. flintlock, single barrel, right hand. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:54:00 AM by 3 swans »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:15:02 AM »
RE Davis , Dunlop, Cabin Creek, etc all have 20 bore kits . Chambers have 3 that I know of from a 41 in barrel to 46 in barrels. Then there are the North West /trade gun kits, or the French fusil fin etc . You can see some of those on the Track of the Wolf site
Take a look and decide what style of gun he's interested in, and that will narrow the choice
down as far as whose kit .  Personally, my favourite 20 bore is an Officer's Fusil kit from Chambers. It is the best handling 20 bore gun I've ever had.