Author Topic: Iron mounted rifle at auction  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Dave B

Iron mounted rifle at auction
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:35 PM »
I stumbled across this very cool Iron mounted rifle on icollector.com. Not connected with this in any way but if it is original a very interesting piece. The Iron patch/cap box being one, the other is the fastening of the trigger guard with the tang screw (assumed). The trigger bar forms the front extension from the guard bow. looks almost too good to be true. Wallace Gusslers comments about this piece are mentioned. Pretty cool stuff I say. http://www.icollector.com/Beautiful-flintlock-Kentucky-full-stock-rifle-38-caliber-46-5-octagon-barrel-signed-P-Wilson_i24744221
Dave Blaisdell

Offline PPatch

Re: Iron mounted rifle at auction
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:32:22 PM »
That is a beautiful rifle. Thanks Dave.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »
 Dave;
 it is quite possible that this gun was built by one of my North Carolina relatives. Family oral history says that my GG Grandfathers cousin was a gunsmith that worked in western North Carolina, and at the time of the civil war was working in the part of South Carolina that was annexed during the American Revolution. His name was Pinkney Wilson, and he was killed during the civil war. My GG Grandfather named his first born son after him. My great uncle Pink was killed while plowing with a mule in Newton County Arkansas, when he got struck by lightning around the turn of the 20th century.

Hungry Horse

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 01:15:43 AM »
Take another look, I am sure thats one of Kiblers' kits!!!!!
Ed Hamberg

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:17:45 AM »
Beautiful rifle, as-new condition.

Ya think maybe . . . nah, last time I suggested a lovely rifle might be contemporary I got hammered (Yeah,& I was wrong, too)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:23:40 AM »
That is a fine lookin' bit of work.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »
 This gun does seem to be in incredible condition. But, with a 46.5 in. Barrel, and being  .38 cal. I don't think it was built from anyone's kit. Also the barrel signature is pretty obscure, when it comes to known makers. It could be a restock, or an extensive restoration.

Hungry Horse