Author Topic: Smallest caliber of smooth rifle anyone...  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

Smallest caliber of smooth rifle anyone...
« on: May 15, 2016, 11:28:07 PM »
What is the smallest caliber of smooth rifle anyone on the forum has ever used and...found acceptable?

I realize that if hunting, the game hunted will be a determining factor.  Deer would be the largest hunted [ state req's are min .40 in BP if I remember correctly].  With squirrel and rabbit the most hunted.  Maybe turkey.

Just seems like the older I get the less I like dealing with recoil etc. 

Thank you!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Smallest caliber of smooth rifle anyone...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:13:08 AM »
There was a 17 cal sold on here. Had a 25 smoothie once. But alas departed with it. Foolish move on my part. Was a good shooting squirrel getter .

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:46:45 AM »
First rifle I made, 50 years ago, was a .38 smoothie (I couldn't afford a rifled barrel).  Had no trouble keeping up with the rifled guns out to 50 yds or so.  Shot a lot of squirrels and won my first competition medal with that gun.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 04:13:22 AM »
Saw saw incredibly accurate smooth bored .40's at Friendship years ago.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:52:12 PM »
I had a .44 cal. smooth barreled gun for a while.  I reamed a short jug choke the bore (adjustable reamer), putting in about .005" choke and it patterned very well indeed, using 1/2oz 7 1/2's, .410 shot cups with 1/10" card wad between the wad and powder, with a thin "B" wad over the shot.  I actually broke 10/10 at our local rendezvous with it from 16 yards - no dust, just 2 to 4 pieces - but every one broke. The 10 7 12 bore shooters were a little miffed.
With round ball, it was accurate enough to shoot bunnies to about 40-50yards. It was a lot of fun, but a friend needed it more than I so I traded it for an original, Sharps barrel with sights & mould. Yeah - should have kept it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
"Plastikosmd" reported on the .20 smoothbore J. R. Salvo "ultimate squirrel rifle." It was apparently used with .177 cal roundball/lead BB's, but the new owner shot some very interesting projectiles. I looked long and hard at buying this gun, but my pockets were too tight.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=39847.0
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:35:01 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 06:42:09 PM »
I haven't shot the .20 for accuracy yet, I am traveling. I had no issue hitting the 2x4 I shot at 25yrd. No issues loading or shooting. I do swab between shots and brush the bore after a day of shooting.

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for the responses.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
I shot a .25 caliber rifle for a short while. It shot good but I didn't like cleaning it so I sold it.