Author Topic: English style American 16 gauge fowler, done  (Read 9518 times)

Hemo

English style American 16 gauge fowler, done
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »
Greetings, all,
I wanted to share my latest finished product, a 16 gauge American fowler built in the "British style" described in Grinslade's flintlock fowlers book (along the lines of BS-5 and BS-6 if you have the book, as well as this example:

www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f817.html

...having a hooked breech and barrel keys.

This gun was stocked in American black walnut with a Griffin style Colerain octagon-to-round 16 gauge smooth barrel, breech plug replaced with a hooked breech from TOW, Chambers English fowler lock, trigger guard and pipe castings from TOW, modified trigger casting from TOW. Sideplate was hand made based on a design taken from an original early 18th century pistol. Buttplate was made from annealed heavy sheet brass. Engraving is mine.

The wood was fairly open-grained, and I was concerned about being able to do detailed carving with such open grain, but it appears to have come out alright. Stain is a mixture of one part LMF cherry to 3-4 parts LMF Lancaster maple. Wood was initially sealed with Herters Red stock sealer, which I have never used before. I don't know if I'd use it again--it didn't appear to fill the grain very well at all. Subsequently wood was sealed with multiple applications of LMF sealer, finished with rottenstone and mineral oil, and a coat of dark brown Briwax.

The barrel muzzle was coned, not only to facilitate loading but primarily to create the appearance of a very slender barrel wall. Front sight was hand made from coin silver.
Barrel was stamped at the breech with two private Tower proofs, appropriate for an English import barrel from about 1730-1814.

Thanks for looking! Any feedback or questions are welcome.

Gregg

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:53:47 PM by Hemo »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: English style American 16 gauge fowler, done
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »
nicely done,like the way the muzzle and stock comes together,transition between the two.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »
Really nice, Greg!  Your're work is getting really good fast! 

Jim

Offline alex e.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 08:32:57 PM »
Very nice!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »
Now that is one sleek and slender beauty, very nice.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »
     That is a super nice rendition of that style of fowler, clean and sleek.  It is refreshing to see that quality of work.

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline KC

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 12:49:54 AM »
Fantastic work. That's a really well done gun.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline KC

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:54:25 AM »
It seems like kind of a minor detail and wasn't mentioned in your description, but I'd like to know more about how you did the ram rod tip. That's a nice touch.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 02:12:16 AM »
yes , very nicly done indeed

joemeek

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 03:10:28 AM »
Beautiful rifle, I really like walnut stocks.  Nice work.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 03:11:26 AM »
 Nice looking gun. Much better than average.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 03:24:17 AM »
I like it LOTS ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Tmas

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 03:49:19 AM »
Great work Hamo.  There is a lot to see and learn from your photos.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 04:51:59 AM »
Very nice piece, Gregg!  Nicely executed carving, mold lines, engraving, really came together nicely.  Thanks for sharing!

Ed
Ed Wenger

thimble rig

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 05:19:26 AM »
Excellent job .The carving looks great along with the engraving as well.Love the side plate.Kep up the good and thanks for sharing.I love looking at that book,they have some beauties in their.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 05:40:11 AM »
Lovely gun - and perfect bore size.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 07:33:15 PM »
Like it a lot.
Andover, Vermont

Hemo

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 03:51:43 AM »
Thanks to all for your kind comments!

KC, the trumpet style horn tip on the ramrod was made with a piece of black-tipped cow horn. I cut off about  two  inches from the end of the horn,  then shaped the piece with half-round rasps and files until it was about as close as I could get to a regular rounded profile all around. I then placed the wide end down on my drill press and put a 1/4 or 5/16th inch drill bit as close to center as possible on the skinny end and drilled about 1/2 inch into the horn. With the horn piece wedged pretty firmly on the drill bit, still in the drill press, I used the drill  press as a simple lathe to spin the horn while gently rounding off any lumps and bumps with half-round rasps and files and sandpaper.  The ramrod is a piece of 1/2" diameter hickory, tapered down to 1/4 at the rear end. I cut a stepped-off 1/4 inch diameter recess at the tip of the fat end, about 1/2" long, to socket snugly into the 1/4" diameter hole in the horn tip, then attached the horn to the rod with epoxy.
After drying, the abutting edges of the horn and rod were cut to a smooth matching profile with half-round files and sandpaper, down to about 600 grit, then polished with steel wool. A coat of LMF sealer went over the final assembly. Make sense?

This piece of horn, once I cut into it, was not black throughout but had some streaks of brown. I could have dyed it black with leather dye, but sort of liked the mixture of colors, and the swirl effect on the flat end, so left it as is.

Gregg

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »
Outstanding work there Gregg!  I would love to see it in person.  Any chance you will bring it to Bowling Green in June?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »
That walnut took the carving exceptionally well, which is a credit to you, the artisan.  And that's a significant polish on the barrel!!  Overall, the gun is very tastefully done and well made.  In short, I love it!  Some day, I'd like one of those in my own stable.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Hemo

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
Hi, Curtis,

Yes, I will plan to be toting this gun along to the WKU workshop this year. I'll only be around for the first three days, hope you're there at that time! Thanks for your comments and your fine work on the WKU workshop!

Taylor, that's high praise coming from a much admired master of the art! If you really would like one of these in your stable, this one would be happy to live there ;), though you're certainly more than capable of making your own!

Best to all,

Gregg

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
Gregg,
Some really nice work here! !
I am glad to see you employed the relieved bore at the muzzle.
I agree with Kibler that you are on the fast track.
My only pick would be those huge cast pipes : )
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:58:30 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »
A good job well done has you said a American fowler of English shape. Those proof marks I am against which I take were stamped in the States ,here in the UK only the Proof House would be allowed to use a proof mark stamp otherwise it would be a serious affence and could end in a jail sentence
Feltwad

Hemo

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
Hey, James, glad you like it! I agree on those big pipes, once I got it together I regretted not making my own, a little smaller diameter. Live and learn!

Feltwad, those proofs were intended to show a barrel made in England and imported across the pond. If you click on the link at the beginning of my post, you will see those same crown and crossed scepters stamped at the breech of an original American-stocked fowler.

Gregg

thimble rig

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »
Excellent work.You should be very proud of that fowler.The side plate with the engraving is awesome.Thanks for posting such a beautiful piece of art.