Author Topic: case for my longrifle?  (Read 7033 times)

lentuk

case for my longrifle?
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:59:08 AM »
I hope this is the right place to ask, where does a guy get a case for his longrifle?

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: case for my longrifle?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:37:28 AM »
Like all things, it depends on what kind of case you are needing or wanting. Leather, canvas, wool, combination of all three?
I have made cases from suede leather and bought sleeves for traveling. The last one I got came from Just Sara and has an outer canvas sleeve with a wool lining. I have one made from a heavy wool blanket, Southwestern style for my TVM Virginia  rifle that came from Cabelas but it's long enough if not the correct time period.  Is this going to be for storing your rifle, carrying it to the field or the range or do you need a hard case for flying?
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

lentuk

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:50:31 AM »
Mainly for going to the range, don't need a hard case, and it does not need to be traditional,  just keep it safe during the trip to the range.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:51:58 AM by lentuk »

Offline J I

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 02:04:16 AM »

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 02:05:51 AM »
Contact Sara Stevens at justsara@up.net and see if she can make what you need. She need measurements of your rifle.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 03:54:02 AM »
http://uniquecases.com/shop/?xSec=7

These cases are wonderful, and come in several lengths. 

Very strong nylon.  Deep padding.  Smooth interior flannel. Strong full length zipper. 

Best part.....an outside pocket that holds two range rods!

The shoulder strap is handy too.

Very reasonable price. 

Hope this helps.   Marc

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 04:59:39 AM »
Go to Acecase.com for the best case for the money.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 06:32:54 AM »
http://uniquecases.com/shop/?xSec=7

These cases are wonderful, and come in several lengths. 

Very strong nylon.  Deep padding.  Smooth interior flannel. Strong full length zipper. 

Best part.....an outside pocket that holds two range rods!

The shoulder strap is handy too.

Very reasonable price. 

Hope this helps.   Marc
I've never seen these before but after checking them out they might be hard to beat.

lentuk

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
Thank you all, I could not find have found any of these without your help.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
Lentuck
Acecase is the guy that sells longrifle cases at the CLA. Don't let the $8.00 or 10.00 price mislead you they are thick padded cases. Drawstring tie at the top. They protect a rifle quite well. I own several that I bought at the CLA. Tim

cunninmp

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »
I got the padded case from Log Cabin and really like it. For 29.95 it's hard to beat.

Mike C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 09:12:54 PM »
Hi Bull,  I have two of these, and some of my friends have them as well. 

Not traditional, but really good quality with good features. 

If I haven't put something to the test, I don't recommend it. 

The nicest feature for me is the pouch for my range rods. 

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
Acecase is the guy that sells longrifle cases at the CLA. Don't let the $8.00 or 10.00 price mislead you they are thick padded cases. Drawstring tie at the top. They protect a rifle quite well. I own several that I bought at the CLA. Tim
These are great cases don't let the price fool you. Buy an extra one you will wish you had after you get back home.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
I got the padded case from Log Cabin and really like it. For 29.95 it's hard to beat.

Mike C.

That's my choice as well. I have a very nice (and much more "H.C.") case that opens at the end (only), ties with braided leather..etc. "all the features" if you will...but I find it a bit clumsy getting "Big Nose Kate"...my 42" bbl. SMR in and out of it compared to the totally modern case I got from the Log Cabin folks with it's full length zipper.
Great value for the money. ;)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »
I have six or eight cases that are flannel lined canvas that I have used for the past fifteen years. The only issue I have with them is that they are (were) white. They are sturdy, somewhat waterproof and thick enough to protect finishes. Peter Marks from Tentsmiths makes them. I had a few of the oilskin cases but they had a tendency to hold in moisture more than keep it out. The Acecase is a great give away with a new gun.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mick C

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 03:00:50 AM »
A lot of the above replies are for what I would call "gun socks" and believe me, I have my share of them.  But if you are looking for a hard case Crazy Crow sells a pretty nice one...  http://www.crazycrow.com/gun-covers/kentucky-rifle-hard-case-72in ....Just sayin', Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 05:25:01 AM »
Hardcases are nice, I used to mfg. and sell them (Firelocker) and the biggest issue I had with them was getting a 72"x 12"x 3" case in a car or inside a truck. I ended up buying an empty longbow case from Allen Mfg and putting in my own egg crate foam (67" x 10" x 2 1/5"). They fit in truck or car.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson