Author Topic: # 1 Buckshot  (Read 10803 times)

Offline sqrldog

Re: # 1 Buckshot
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
Exactly T O F Thats what I meant about doing his homework and using a lsrger shot one that fits his bore. And makes a column of shot. That I tbink is the information the OP was looking for and not just a argument for or agaist buckshot. We strayed way off his original  question for that  I apologize to the OP. I've nothing more to say on the subject. Tim

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »
Been reading this thread and to be honest I never really thought about using buck shot out of a smooth bore for deer.I remember back in day when the area I grew up at became a shot gun only area.Muzzleloaders could also be used,modern shotguns with slug or OO,muzzleloaders where either.As for 00 can't say much out of a muzzleloader but out of a modern shot gun its devastating. I think it comes down to knowing you and your guns limitations.If for one second you have dought about it go round ball.Did shoot some buck and ball and while fun I think I'd pass on using it to hunt deer unless they are ten feet from me

Boremouse

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 04:50:32 AM »
Yeah sqrldog!
 you are right about T*O*F coming up with good information on how to load buckshot ! As you mentioned that is the kind of information I was seeking!Also will take your suggestion about using a little larger buckshot size.
And with that I think I am finished with this topic.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 05:05:43 AM »
Yes do as you please, I didn't mean to be controversial or adversarial in my post, but that to point out it's not too hard to hit a moving deer at short yardage with a single projectile.  I'm also aware that single-ball loading may be against the rules in some places. 

Bigger is better in some cases and this is one, but a fella must abide.

Best of luck on all game no matter what you use. 
Hold to the Wind

Boremouse

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 05:18:12 AM »
Yes do as you please, I didn't mean to be controversial or adversarial in my post, but that to point out it's not too hard to hit a moving deer at short yardage with a single projectile.  I'm also aware that single-ball loading may be against the rules in some places. 

Bigger is better in some cases and this is one, but a fella must abide.

Best of luck on all game no matter what you use. 

Thanks Wade!
And lots of luck to you also!

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 03:27:41 AM »
I have a .31 caliber squirrel rifle that likes #1 buckshot just fine.  Haven't tried it on deer yet.  Most ML seasons require .45 or larger.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 01:42:26 AM »
I wouldn't try it for deer, even if it was legal - as it is here. Actually, any ML is legal for moose, elk, grizzly's, whatever, but not buffalo. Yeah - game branch is not too bright which is what happens with bureaucrats make the rules.
If someone showed up here in camp to hunt moose with a .40, I would not guide him unless he acquiesced to using one of my rifles.
Actually, big game is why I have  .58, 20 bore smooth and best yet, a .69 calibre moose killing rifle. The .50 will work, but will work better as a rendezvous rifle - where 'struttin' in part and parcel of the experience.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 04:11:54 AM »
I've seen several deer killed with a .22 mag. Not legal, but head shots are effective. A .32 would probably work if you are close and place your shot well, not that it would be my first choice..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »
My stomach and my desire to eat drove what I did , but I used the tools at hand. ;D
To be honest a swivel breech with a .50 cal or heavier with 12 ga would have worked well.
 I knew one guy with a .44 rifle caplock and he wanted a LOT of money to part with it. So I used what I had....OO buck and bow and arrow! :o

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »
Never tried OO buck with a bow.... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:06 PM »
Only when you run low on BP and arrows. I still like to eat.  ;D Not sure about the OO patterns!
We ate well enough, surf and turf meant :alligator and venison or capybarra with fried yucca for chips! The look on the one American's face showed it wasn't his idea of Surf and Turf. I offered to eat it but he finally ate it! LOL