Author Topic: Shoot Running Boar at Friendship for free!  (Read 5721 times)

Offline trentOH

Shoot Running Boar at Friendship for free!
« on: May 25, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »
I've operated Running Boar at Friendship for a few years now, and have always had a low turnout for the opening Saturday of the shoot. I understand that. There are camps to set up, old friends to hang out with, new friends to meet, shopping to do, and a host of other things as well.

Instead of closing on the opening Saturday, I've gotten permission to do something radically different on that day.....let people shoot for free!!!

So if you have never tried Running Boar before, or if you'd like to get in a practice round or two, then June 11th is your day! We'll be open 9 AM to 3 PM, like most days, and I'd be glad to meet you, and introduce you to a very fun event.

It's a 10 shot match, with 5 shots each at piggy running left, and piggy running right. Matches will not count for score, but will count for fun. So come alone or bring a buddy. The range is located directly behind the barn, and between the powder magazines and Woods Walk. There's a bit of a hill to walk up, but nowadays there's a bench to rest on. Figure on about 40 minutes to shoot the match.

See you there!

Online smylee grouch

Re: Shoot Running Boar at Friendship for free!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
Running bore is one of the more fun events I have shot. I've shot it several times at the NMLRA's Western National Shoot with both perc. and flintlock. It's note only fun to shoot but educational as it will show you a thing or two about forward allowance.

Online Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:35:19 PM »
That would be a BLAST - with my little lady 14 bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:46 PM »
I think that's a great idea, Trent. Wish I didn't live so darn far from Friendship (1200+ miles) otherwise I'd be there, not only to take advantage of a practice round - but to take part in the official shoot as well. Good shooting and have lots of fun!
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:09:13 PM »
I assume that it's single projectile only, not shot?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline trentOH

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 04:25:01 AM »

A single ball only is correct. Last year we had a rookie to Running Boar show up from primitive with a 62 caliber smoothbore. His first-ever shot at Running Boar was a 10! But a rifle is the usual weapon for 50 meters. I have had some shoot it with pistols: the high score was a 33, with a traditional styled flint pistol.

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 05:40:49 AM »
Trent

you just might see the Fleener clan and TOF at the shoot.  We have shot it in the past and will most likely do it again.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

yardhunter

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 05:55:24 AM »
Wish I was off Saturday…I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Online Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 06:17:56 AM »

Yes - rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
Just a report.  Snapper, his son, Curtis, and myself all shot the free boar match.  All we did was waste 10 loads downrange with little or no results.  I think Snapper and his son may have gotten one hit apiece.  I can see why it is not one of the most popular venues at Friendship.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline wayback40

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 11:55:45 PM »
I went to Friendship on Monday with my nephew who is just starting in muzzle loading.  We shot the running boar and had a great time.  There were several other shooters and all seemed to be having a very good time.  My nephew only scored one hit but hit the boar several times outside the scoring and he said he would definitely shoot it again.  Trent, we will be back.  Thanks again. Kevin

yardhunter

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 06:51:48 AM »
Speaking of the Running Boar event…..for those interested...…in the middle of this video,
here's a little of what it looks like:

For what it's worth…I couldn't hit the hogs either………see ya yard hunter

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 02:52:24 PM »
TOF

it just might be that we are really bad shots?  Ryan got 11 points or so.  I got one.  HOWEVER I was shooting my new flinter that after the match I found out was around 11" high and left.  So, that is my excuse.

Trent, thanks for running it and also Ryan really likes his mug!

fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 05:23:37 PM »
it just might be that we are really bad shots?
That would be an understatement.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson