Author Topic: Ron Paull and the English pattern trade rifle  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Jay Close

Ron Paull and the English pattern trade rifle
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:24:48 PM »
Over the past few years I’ve become increasingly interested in the longrifles that went West, the trade rifles of Henry, Dickert, Derringer et al. This sent me to the Book of Buckskinning III  and the work of Ron Paull who made J.J. Henry English Pattern trade rifles.

Do any of the forum members have photos of Mr. Paull’s work they could share?

More importantly, what became of Mr. Paull?  And what became of the patterns he developed to produce his rifles?

I’d dearly love to own an example of one of these English pattern rifles one day.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Ron Paull and the English pattern trade rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »
Do any of the forum members have photos of Mr. Paull’s work they could share?
If you go to Bob Spencer's Notebook and look at the smoothbore gift,  Ron was part of the collaboration that built that gun.  He built it "in the white" and sent it on to me for finishing.

More importantly, what became of Mr. Paull?
He is a minister working with native children in Alaska.  They live a meager lifestyle these days.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Jay Close

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »
Wow! Thanks for that update. A talented man with a high calling.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »
 Here is what I found on googling Ron Paull. He seems to be at Port Lyons on Kodiak Island in Alaska, and has moved beyond longrifles, I think.  Bill Paton

Ron and Jean Paull

Jean and I met back in the mid-sixties. We have known each other over fifty years. Each of us has few memories without the other in them. We married on July 6, 1968. Even though we both grew up influenced by the Church, our actual “walking with Christ” began much later. Ten years into our marriage, love was nearly extinguished, and we almost lost the relationship. I was a “functioning alcoholic” if there can really be such a thing. I pursued my dream of becoming a recognized custom gun builder but at the cost of making my wife work in order to keep us afloat. Jean also had to raise our four children almost completely alone with no appreciation from me. These are some of the things that nearly destroyed our marriage after only ten years.  Had it not been for God in His matchless grace pursuing both of us, we would not be together and ministering today. We have two sons and two daughters all in various stages of their relationships with the Lord—all by God’s continued grace.

Over the past 47 years together we have befriended and worked with people from many walks of life.  We have also been involved in many vocations and adventures including tough times that put an edge on the adventures.  Jean was my faithful partner when I served in the military, law enforcement, and various fields of employment such as laborer, custom American Longrifle maker, painting contractor, hunting guide and motorcycle evangelist. I have dragged Jean from our birthplace in New England to Kentucky, Florida, Utah, Montana, Washington State, Colorado, Montana again, and finally Alaska. In all this she has remained my constant and uncomplaining companion and fellow laborer for the cause of Christ. 

I wanted to join the Army right out of high school, but my parents made me commit to giving Bible college a try for at least a year. I attended Practical Bible Training Institute in New York for a year and was asked not to return. My father didn’t consider that a fair shot, so he made me try again at a small Bible school in Vermont. I was ‘invited’ to leave after only three months. There is a lot of history in between, but at age forty God gave me another chance along with the desire—an important but missing component the first two go-arounds!—to attend Bible college at the school now called Moody Bible Institute Spokane. I graduated four years later and went on to Denver Seminary where I earned a master’s degree in counseling, certifications for addictions counseling, and a certificate in Prepare/Enrich marriage counseling. It’s amazing what God can do with a person who willingly follows Him!

The whole time I had my nose in the books Jean was working to keep us going so that I could finish my programs and get back to Montana and into active ministry. Jean became part of my counseling ministry, and we worked at that exclusively for a number of years.  After suffering a nearly world-class case of burnout, we took a break and re-entered ministry as a pastoral couple. At first it was interim work, then full-time until just recently. God has given us both many happy and fulfilling times in ministry  such as recently reconnecting with a woman just entering the mission field in Alaska who had been one of our “kids” in our first pastorate. God has also walked with us through many deep waters and hot fires and taken us safely through every time. For more than six years, the hands He used to hold ours through these times were those of the Arctic Barnabas team. There were others as well.

At age 69, we felt God impressing on us a desire to use the experiences He has brought us through to encourage and counsel other northern ministry leaders.  We are excited that God has led us to join the staff of Arctic Barnabas Ministries.  Our hearts’ desire in this new role is to equip others to stay in the fight until their part of the battle is done, longing for the day when Jesus welcomes us all home with “Well done, good and faithful servant! Enter the Joy of your Master!”

Donate to Ron and Jean Paull: Click Here . . .

Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:15:43 PM »
He seems to be at Port Lyons on Kodiak Island in Alaska, and has moved beyond longrifles, I think.
When last I communicated with him, he had a native student who was interested in gun building and he was researching Russian seal rifles.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline blienemann

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »
Ron is alive and well, and actively building rifles - including a few old GRRW styles.

Offline Karl K.

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:09:15 AM »
From the Contemporary Makers blog on 10/29/15--

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2015/10/libertys-hammer-by-ron-paul.html

His comments were:

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated =)
I am alive, well, and while not building guns full time every day, still actively producing several pieces a year. Lately I have been receiving a lot of requests for single shot black powder cartridge guns but my first love is American Fur Trade era and early American Longrifles like the one I built for Jim Sharp in 2005 while still living in Cut Bank Montana. My wife and I now live on Kodiak Island in a remote village and are planning on re-locating to the Soldotna/Kenai area within the year. I hope to continue building guns as time affords opportunity. Not gone yet! =)
Ron Paull
my email if anyone would like to contact me is: fastoldpastor@yahoo.com

I liked that article in Book of Buckskinning as well and made a Henry from one of Jim Searles JP Gunstock kits.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:12:06 AM »
The late Ketland he designed and Davis now sells is sure a nice lock. he has made some fine stuff in his career.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline blienemann

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 06:51:09 AM »
Mike, I think you may be referring to Ron Long who designed that lock - along with fine barrels, Hawken breeches, triggers and so forth.  And quite a shooter.  Also still alive and active. 

Ron, Fred Johnson, Joe Corley and I built a number of the Old English pattern rifles, along with a few other builders.  Larry Walker is now carrying the torch with custom locks and fine work at Henry Artificers.  Those are big, strong guns with 6" locks - could pole vault over your horse and not hurt anything.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »
Mike, I think you may be referring to Ron Long who designed that lock - along with fine barrels, Hawken breeches, triggers and so forth.  And quite a shooter.  Also still alive and active. 

Ron, Fred Johnson, Joe Corley and I built a number of the Old English pattern rifles, along with a few other builders.  Larry Walker is now carrying the torch with custom locks and fine work at Henry Artificers.  Those are big, strong guns with 6" locks - could pole vault over your horse and not hurt anything.
You're right, got my Rons mixed up. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jay Close

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 03:35:14 PM »
Thanks, everyone, so much for all the information you've provided. It is good to hear that Rev. Paull is still doing gun work. He seems like a great guy who you'd love to sit down with and just chat.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 12:58:27 AM »

Building on what Mr. Lienemann had to say, I contacted Ron Paull a couple years ago about building a English Pattern Trade Rifle.  He said he had sold the molds and intellectual rights to the rifle to Fred Johnson and wasn't building them anymore.

I finally came across one of Larry Walker's English Pattern rifles from J.J. Henry Artificers earlier this year and purchased it.  I'm real pleased with it.  Larry does a great job.  He developed his own custom 6" lock.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:37:54 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek