Author Topic: Euroarms 1803 Harpers Ferry  (Read 21035 times)

OldSchool

Re: Euroarms 1803 Harpers Ferry
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »
oohhhh, seems I touched a nerve. Mr. Brooks, my name and location are included in my profile.
My response was meant to interject some levity in the discussion, and possibly encourage those that
cannot currently afford to buy one of the fine quality products that you and other craftsmen and craftswomen
here produce.
I have only ten posts, that's correct. I do much more reading and studying new and archived posts than I do writing what Longknife calls "useless remarks".
You wont see many post from me unless I feel that is a contribution. I have too much respect for the fine folks here to
blather.
My respects to all contributors.
Paul Clayton (yes I am OldSchool)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »
What bothers me is that you assume that by me telling this guy not to buy a euro arms 1803 because it's a piece of junk  he'll  decide to buy one of mine instead  ::) I and the others here were trying to help this guy not make a big mistake. You on the other hand assumed we had our own best interests in mind and then  had to inject some sort of "witty" response that   insulted those that were honestly trying to help.  Nice tenth contribution to the forum, very helpful.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
I had a Hatfield flinter then I bought a Nate McKenzie custom flinter, world's apart and a lot of unnecessary pain for far too long.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:50:14 PM by crawdad »

Offline hatman

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
What bothers me is that you assume that by me telling this guy not to buy a euro arms 1803 because it's a piece of junk  he'll  decide to buy one of mine instead  ::) I and the others here were trying to help this guy not make a big mistake. You on the other hand assumed we had our own best interests in mind and then  had to inject some sort of "witty" response that   insulted those that were honestly trying to help.  Nice tenth contribution to the forum, very helpful.

Well I do appreciate your opinion as well as others here.
I passed on the rifle and watched someone else buy it for $820.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:23 AM »
Good pass!
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 02:20:44 AM »
Holy smokes, $820 dollars!!!!!!

I was thinking around 200 or 300 hundred dollars at the most. No inexpensive options.

Offline hatman

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 03:32:10 AM »
Holy smokes, $820 dollars!!!!!!

I was thinking around 200 or 300 hundred dollars at the most. No inexpensive options.

OK, feel even better now.   ;D

Regarding inexpensive options, how do you (and others perhaps) feel about Lyman flintlocks?
I'm asking because after I bought my 3rd custom (the Hawken), I bought my two black powder range buddies each a Lyman .54 cal great plains flintlock (1/60 twist) last month.
I had read a lot of positive things about Lyman and so far they have had great success with them both reliability and accuracy-wise.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 04:39:09 AM »
The majority of people I hunt with have Lyman GPRs, they love em.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:40:02 AM by crawdad »

Offline hatman

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 04:48:29 AM »
Good to know.
Thank you.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
I knew guys back in the 80's that were shooting Lyman caplocks. They were good guns back then, I have no idea about the current production.

Online T*O*F

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »
The Lyman GPR is made by InvestArms.  It and the InvestArms Hawken are one in the same with minor hardware and cosmetic differences.  With the Hawken, you don't pay for the Lyman name so it's quite a bit cheaper.

I built both my sons one from InvestArms kits almost 20 years ago.  I think I used a TC Hawken T guard on this one and straightened the curl out.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 11:13:17 PM »
I have a Pedersoli Harpers  Ferry flint pistol.  Other than being the wrong caliber and eating flints, it is a $#*! of a lot of fun to shoot.  It has no back sight, so hitting something (in particular) is sort of optional, but lots of noise, smoke and fire.  Also, if you forget the powder charge, no problem.  Just pour it in through the flash hole.  I would not stand close on the right side while the pistol is fired, however.  I have probably fired it a few hundred times over the years, so cannot speak to long term reliability.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline hatman

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 05:12:16 AM »
I have a Pedersoli Harpers  Ferry flint pistol.  Other than being the wrong caliber and eating flints, it is a $#*! of a lot of fun to shoot.  It has no back sight, so hitting something (in particular) is sort of optional, but lots of noise, smoke and fire.  Also, if you forget the powder charge, no problem.  Just pour it in through the flash hole.  I would not stand close on the right side while the pistol is fired, however.  I have probably fired it a few hundred times over the years, so cannot speak to long term reliability.

My introduction to flintlocks was when I picked up a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol last December.
I've probably shot a hundred rounds and no complaints.
And I agree it's all about having fun.   

Offline Mick C

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2016, 03:19:42 AM »
I have a Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol that I assembled from a "kit".  I quote it because it was very easy to complete but still fun.  It is indeed a nice quality little gun even if not perfect.   You may want to consider it.  I bought mine from Dixie Gun Works....Mick 
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline hatman

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 05:28:59 AM »
I have a Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol that I assembled from a "kit".  I quote it because it was very easy to complete but still fun.  It is indeed a nice quality little gun even if not perfect.   You may want to consider it.  I bought mine from Dixie Gun Works....Mick 

Thanks Mick.
I have been considering the HF pistol.
I just haven't figured out how you can get get consistent accuracy with only a front sight.
In addition to paper targets at 25yds we like to shoot 2 liter pop bottles and gal milk jugs at the 50 yd berm.
(Tie the bottle with a piece of twine to a stake and drive it into the berm)  :)

Boompa

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »
   Regarding Lewis & Clark using the 1803, I found this in the archive from the gun museum up at Cody.....
"The Model 1803 was the first military rifle manufactured at an United States government armory. Lewis and Clark were possibly equipped with prototypes of this model, but production of the standard form shown here did not commence until the spring of 1804 due to difficulties in barrel manufacture, too late for use by Lewis and Clark, who started their expedition in 1804.
However, it is quite possible that the standard M1803 rifles were used by the Zebulon Pike expedition of 1806. The rifle pictured above has a .54 caliber 33″ barrel, the length of which was increased to 36″ on rifles manufactured after 1807."

Three balls

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »
I own a Euroarms rifle. It's not the Harpers Ferry rifle, in fact it's hard to say what it is, it's not a plains rifle, and definitely not a longrifle. It's not HC, or PC, shoots decent though. I paid $119 for it from a well known publication, it was worth every penny, in todays money!

Offline hatman

Offline Longknife

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »
GOOD MOVE!!!!!, You will be happy with that one for sure!.....
Ed Hamberg

Offline hatman

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
Mike's 1803 Harper's Ferry arrived and I couldn't be happier.
She's beautiful and she's a shooter.
William and Meriwether are smiling down on me.  :)
Thanks Longknife and Mike T!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:16:20 AM by hatman »