Author Topic: Up-date on current project by P.W. Berkuta - Plains Rifle  (Read 3797 times)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Up-date on current project by P.W. Berkuta - Plains Rifle
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
The post below was originally part of Davebozell's  "Show us your current project" thread.  The moderators have split the many projects in the original thread out into individual threads so the members can more easily ask questions and the builders can more easily answer.

This is a Plains rifle that is coming to it's final completion. The wood has 3 coats of Permylin Sealer applied and I started the final finish yesterday. All metal parts have been rust blued with Mark Lee Express Blue except for the barrel which will be done after I sight it in.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:18:59 PM by P.W.Berkuta »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline T*O*F

Current project by P.W. Berkuta - Plains Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »
All metal parts have been rust blued with Mark Lee Express Blue
How was it to work with?  I"ve got a bottle of it and a bottle of Pilkingtons and haven't tried either yet.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:00:58 PM »
All metal parts have been rust blued with Mark Lee Express Blue
How was it to work with?  I"ve got a bottle of it and a bottle of Pilkingtons and haven't tried either yet.

I like it and I purchased it based on other people's comments, the amount of product, and the price. It has done a very good job so far when the metal is not overly polished. I sand to 320 (220 sometimes and wire wheel), clean with a solvent, apply a VERY light coat with a cotton daubber, let it work for about 2 hrs then boil for 10 min. I do this for 2 or three more times rubbing down the parts with a paper towel as it comes out of the hot water before applying any more solution. I got two bottles of other rust blue solutions that I will try when this is gone (2 oz left).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
P.W.,  How's that plains rifle coming.  I really like the stock finish and that's some pretty wood.  I'd like to see how it's progressing.  Best wishes,   Marc

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Current project by P.W. Berkuta - Plains Rifle
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:24:39 AM »
Well things WERE going well until I wanted to do another task while the 12 coat of finish I just put on were drying. I had done a "quick balancing act" with the stock as I had done 11 times before by sticking a 5/16 metal rod in the 3/8" ram rod hole and balanced the stock on it's toe and went about my task which was to grind and fab a belt buckle for a bag that will go along with the rifle. BAD MOVE -- if you notice the grinder in the back ground is on the same work table as the stock was being balanced -- YUP  >:(-- when I turned on the grinder vibrations went into the work table and  upset the stock's "balancing act" which then proceeded to head to the floor :o. Luckily I was only a step or two away and caught the wet stock from falling to the floor ;). Unfortunately my hand prints were all over the semi-wet finish :-[. I let the stock dry over night and then steel wooled every thing back to wood >:(. I used aqua fortis as my stain and since it went deep into the wood there were only a few spots that are a bit lighter than before which I gave the stock a quick light coat of LMF Honey Maple which is drying as I write this. Later on tonight I will again start the process of sealing then applying the finish which will probably be just more of the Permylin sealer since I don't have any more of the Permylin finish.

To prevent this dumb move from happening again I modified my stock cradle with two end points that attach to the stock and act as a "rotisserie" - no more "balancing acts" ;D. The new pictures were taken with a small pocket camera not the Nikon D3300 the original pictures were taken with so there "might" be a picture quality difference :D.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 02:53:13 AM »
One more item that might be of interest -- This rifle will be of the single trigger verity. I made the trigger and trigger plate and installed a trigger spring to take out the "slop". Notice that there is a piece of music wire (0.035" diameter) going from the trigger pivot block to the back portion of the trigger. This is the trigger return spring. It is bent in the shape of an "L". The trigger pivot block is drilled with a hole slightly bigger than the music wire - I don't remember the size but the wire is a slip fit in the hole and there is a hole the same size in the trigger to capture the "L" portion of the music wire. The trigger pull is 3 pounds and crisp. I should have moved the lock from behind the trigger assembly but  ::).

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 04:05:28 AM »
Hi PW,
Great work.  That is going to be a beautiful rifle.   Your shops looks incredibly well organized!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:16:54 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D -- YUP -- your right Dave.  When my mind is "on point" it's hard to stop & put things away :-\. Once I am finished putting ON the finish I will move the stock inside and do a "bit" of clean-up :). I don't want to move the dust around while I'm putting on the finish :D  ;).

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Up-date on current project by P.W. Berkuta - Plains Rifle
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 11:47:24 PM »
OK -- I have finally finished the "finish" and it has been one of the most taxing ones in a LONG time - maybe because of the high gloss that was requested by the recipient. Every thing is complete except for the barrel being rust blued which I will probably do after I sight in the rifle in about a week or so after the finish is totally cured.