Author Topic: Need some info on this builder if anyone is familiar  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Need some info on this builder if anyone is familiar
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »
A young man contacted me since these two gun are marked "Gillespie" on the locks. He inherited them down through his family line. He said his grandfather had them built back in the 60's. He has no other information on them. I suspect the builder was the "L. Bee" marked on the barrel flat. I also suspect his grandfather was familiar with the Gillespie Rifles that were so well known in the NC/SC area where he once lived. He also lived in OH at some point and the young man was unsure where he lived when the guns were built. Anyone recognize anything about the guns? I hope we might be able to give him some information. They appear to be well made guns.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline General

Re: Need some info on this builder if anyone is familiar
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »
A young man contacted me since these two gun are marked "Gillespie" on the locks. He inherited them down through his family line. He said his grandfather had them built back in the 60's. He has no other information on them. I suspect the builder was the "L. Bee" marked on the barrel flat. I also suspect his grandfather was familiar with the Gillespie Rifles that were so well known in the NC/SC area where he once lived. He also lived in OH at some point and the young man was unsure where he lived when the guns were built. Anyone recognize anything about the guns? I hope we might be able to give him some information. They appear to be well made guns.
Dennis

Beautiful guns for sure.  I wish I could afford something like that.  Someday, I hope.  Thanks for sharing them.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:25:53 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton

Offline halfstock

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:02:50 PM »
Dennis: Those may say Gillispie (sp) but I would venture to say that the locks at least are made to look like an original Lehman.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 01:52:38 AM »
Dennis: Those may say Gillispie (sp) but I would venture to say that the locks at least are made to look like an original Lehman.
Oh I agree. There is nothing Gillespie looking about either of them. I feel sure the grandfather had always heard about the Gillespie rifles built in his area. Probably had never seen one and just had the name put on his because he was familiar with the Gillespie name.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 8905c

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »
I realize this post is a couple of years old, but just wondering if you found any information on L. Bee?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:46:26 PM »
just wondering if you found any information on L. Bee?

It seem to me that there is an accomplished engraver named Leonard Bee.  Jerrywh might be able to confirm this info.  I think the guy now signs his work with a small engraved bee.  Given the age of the guns, he could have made them when he was just starting out. 

As for the locks marked Gillespie, I have an original double rifle and the locks are both marked Gillespie in Old English script.  The stock has English styling, but the barrels suggest American manufacture.  The gun came out of Wyoming and had been brought there from somewhere back east by the guy's ancestors.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline 8905c

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
Well, I wanted to check with Dennis to make sure he hadn't already received information on this builder, and he told me that he hasn't. The builder of these guns is Larry Bee from Zanesville Ohio. Larry was a very accomplished builder and authority on muzzleloading guns. His workmanship is excellent. Unfortunately, Larry passed in 2008, at the age of 70. Hopefully, this information will still be pertinent to the owner of these well made guns.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »
Good to know, I wish I could remember who contacted me about finding more information about the guns but I just don't remember who it was.
Dennis

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 04:14:31 PM »
An interesting combo of rifle and pistol, since both are lefthanded....and appear to be made from the same birdseye maple plank! Fine work too.
Tom C.