Author Topic: Need opinions.  (Read 3130 times)

nosrettap1958

Need opinions.
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
Being absolutely 'Period Correct' would it be acceptable to put a swamped barrel on a Tennessee Mountain Rifle or a North Carolina Mountain Rifle, or as Mr. Ivey notes Appalachian School?

Offline rsells

Re: Need opinions.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:02:08 PM »
I have one original that has a swamped barrel.  However, the swamp is not as pronounced as the barrels today.  I also have a late percussion brass mounted rifles in my shop that came from the middle TN area that has a big swamp profile in its 45 inch barrel.  I have seen two rifles made by this maker.  I use both straight and swamped with my builds.  Most request I get today is for swamped barrels.
                                                                                                                                         Roger Sells

nosrettap1958

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »
Thank You Mr. Sells!!!   One question does your original Tennessee have this same profile as Brian Barker's Tennessee that he built?

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2016/05/brian-barker-after-beals-rifle.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:08:33 PM by crawdad »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »
Tennessee Mountain Rifle or a North Carolina Mountain Rifles
I own several original NC and TN mountain rifle and everyone of them has a swamped barrel. They are nowhere near as much swamp as the B and C profile barrels have today. More like the Southern Classic that Rice sells.

Many of the later percussion TN/NC mountain rifles have straight barrels but I think most of the earlier one's are pretty much swamped to some degree.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

nosrettap1958

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:25:18 AM »
I'm trying to narrow down my choices. While I enjoy the rich history behind the Pennsylvania rifles from the early colonial periods through to the expansion of the west I just like the profiles of the North Carolina and Tennessee Mountain rifles. I especially like that half moon butt plate on those rifles but I also like the sweet balance of a B or C weight swamped barrel that a period correct Pennsylvania rifle would certainly have.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:26:28 AM by crawdad »