Author Topic: split the ball  (Read 12641 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: split the ball
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
If the ax was vertical it it wasn't a bad shot. If the axe was horizontal it was much harder.

Easy shot!
Just hold the rifle sideways ( horizontal ) ::)
Fred
[/quote]
Can't shoot upside down with the gun side ways.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
 The Newyears day Shootwhatchabrung match is held at the Konocti Rod And Gun Club range in Lakeport California. It is open to any gun legal to own in Calif. ( that's getting to be a much smaller number) and no cartridge guns don't win all that often. First prizes over the years have ranged from very high end bottles of whiskey or Scotch, to muzzleloading gun kits, and the last few years was simply a hundred dollar bill.
 The shooting is followed by a lunch that has turned into a sort of event of its own. I usually provide something traditional for New Years, for the crowd to eat. Most often it is Hoppinjohn, and cornbread, but since I ran a little short a couple of years ago, many participants bring their favorite hot dish to share. Of course this turned into a contest, with bragging rights as first prize.

Hungry Horse

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 05:40:33 PM »
Sounds like a real hoot! But alas I'll have to find something a bit closer to Tn. I understand how recipes can be a closely guarded secret, but what are the core ingredients of your Hoppinjohn? Is that akin to Brunswick Stew? 3 meats, lots of veggies and a thick stock?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 07:38:23 PM »
 S.P. You live in Tennessee and don't know what's in Hoppinjohn? O.K. This is my grannies recipe from Arkansas. The only real difference between the Arkansas version, and those of Southern areas farther south is the meat used, and the greens added. The general recipe has black eyed peas, rice, some kind of meat, (generally pork) onions, red pepper flakes, and some kind of greens. Deep South versions usually have collards added as the greens. Real Arkansas Hoppinjohn often has Poke salad as the green of choice. But my granny always used Okra because Poke is pretty hard to come by in January. Meat can be any or all of the following, Smoked hamhocks, bacon, or ham, and I have even had it with Andouille sausage, and shrimp. I like to buy frozen black eyed peas instead of dried, and frozen okra, and whatever smoked pork is the cheapest. Short grained rice will thicken it up nicely, and give it better body. Pretty good stuff, I've never had to bring any home. It's supposed to be eaten on New Years to bring good luck according to Southern legend.

Hungry Horse

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 10:32:52 PM »
When you say poke salad I say dandy lion greens. You say can be one of the above on meat. If your me, before payday, it's squirrel rabbit venison. If your me on payday impressing my girlfriends father it's chicken, pork and beef. ALWAYS copious(ibid) amounts of taters. Peas carrots and whatever's handy. No rules just right. So they say. Texas Pete, Tabasco, Dave's insanity if you have the cahoonies. What matters most is the corn bread. Preheated cast iron only. Lard or bacon drippings only. No heart friendly. No low cal lean quisine. Stick to your ribs yum yum.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:39:21 PM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »
But I think we digress! This is a subject all it's own. And worth it! Dutch oven masterpieces. One pot camp cookin. No matter. The corn bread or the biscuits and coffee will sustain a man, or woman, when meat on the hoof just don't wanna cooperate. And of course there always sloosh.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:41:56 PM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:11 PM »
 You're making some kind of hillbilly stew. Hoppinjohn is more like a gumbo, or jumbelia. If you gotta have some woods meat, try coon, or possum, something with some grease in it. And forget the root crops, go with greens or okra. Otherwise your going to have to call it something else. And I have no guarantees on the luck changing abilities of Hoppinjohn made with squirrel. oh, and Tabasco is pepper flavored vinegar IMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 01:58:03 AM »
When it comes to coon you gotta parboil it first. When it comes to possum you gotta par boil it on a cedar plank, till tender, then throw possum away and eat cedar plank. Ain't nuthin greasier than a trash can possum. No green will suck up that foulness. But it's still better than store bought bologna.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 02:03:19 AM »
And yes. You can call it Hillbilly Stew. But your tongue will still smack a hole in your head to get more. And when you come in from the field who cares what it's called?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »
When it comes to coon you gotta parboil it first. When it comes to possum you gotta par boil it on a cedar plank, till tender, then throw possum away and eat cedar plank. Ain't nuthin greasier than a trash can possum. No green will suck up that foulness. But it's still better than store bought bologna.
You're  really making me hungry now..... :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »
Right

Offline bgf

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 10:19:42 PM »
Knocking a paintball off a golf tee is our hardest shot.  You can't break the tee.  I did it once by luck, even though I've split the ball and cut the card a few time (also by luck :))...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2016, 11:51:18 PM »
Knocking a paintball off a golf tee is our hardest shot.  You can't break the tee.  I did it once by luck, even though I've split the ball and cut the card a few time (also by luck :))...
That would be a tough shot. I have also been to matches where you have to light a match from about 10 feet. Never done it myself. You have to know where your  gun shoots at ten feet and most people have no idea...including me!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:15 AM »
What's real funny is the posts about nobody round here can see a darn thing,needing all kinds of sight help to special glasses including me,yet we are shooting string,putting out candles,splitin balls,card cutting ect.Are we talking about the shooting we did yesterday or yesteryear,just funning of course ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 06:23:08 AM »
What's real funny is the posts about nobody round here can see a darn thing,needing all kinds of sight help to special glasses including me,yet we are shooting string,putting out candles,splitin balls,card cutting ect.Are we talking about the shooting we did yesterday or yesteryear,just funning of course ;)
I'm talking about my "glory days". I can't see crapola anymore. ::)