Author Topic: NEw to me front stuffer, and big thanks to Leatherbelly!!  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Doc

NEw to me front stuffer, and big thanks to Leatherbelly!!
« on: June 08, 2016, 05:16:58 AM »
Well, picked up a new (to me) front stuffer. Big thanks to Leatherbelly who fixed me up with her!!

A Pedersoli 20ga SXS.   I have always liked the feel of a 20 ga double.  That was dad's "Big Gun" when I was growing up, so have always had a soft spot for them.  Anyhow, she is pretty typical.  Top picture is mine, bottom is generic interweb picture but very similar.

Took her out for the first time today to patern and see how much misery I am going to be able to deal out bushy tails.  I used a 50 Beowulf case which holds approx 65 gr of 3f and the same volume of mixed reclaimed shot (7's & 8's).  I had no overshot cards on hand, but I happened across a piece of 1/2" black iron pipe in the shop that measured just over .60 ID.  SO, I cut a piece off and sharpened the end and perfect card cutter!!

Also had a bit of luck.  Dog came down the hall chewing on something.  It was one of my old pocket pill bottles that was empty (thankfully).  It fits the cards perfectly.  It holds about 50 and they fit and dump out perfectly.

Used about a 3/4" ball of TOW for wadding with a dab of beeswax/olive oil (50/50), and one overshot card.  Backed up to 30 yds and was still getting patterns that can kill a fuzzy tail,   At 35yds, the full choke would kill a squirrel, the modified would be iffy.  Just about what I expected.  

Oh and finally, an action shot.  That is my son.  He is 6'8" and about 250, so the gun looks a bit small in his hands!!:32:

We are going to have a long and happy relationship, this little double and I.  Looking forward to many days in the woods stalking the little beasties!!

Doc
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:31:50 AM by Doc »

nosrettap1958

Re: NEw to me front stuffer, and big thanks to Leatherbelly!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 05:25:58 AM »
I love those older Pedersoli shotguns with the checkering down the entire wrist. Light and lively in the hands.
The new ones, not so much.

What is the date stamp on that one Doc?

Offline Doc

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 05:46:21 AM »
Not sure I know what I am looking at, but I think it says '96.

Doc

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
Doc,
I was the first owner of that gun and sold it to LB.  I bought it new sometime between 1996 -98.  Shot a bit of trap with it and took some pheasants.  I think I even took it dove hunting once but don't recall getting any.  When hunting, I measured my powder from the horn, but carried my shot and wads in 35mm film cans in my hunting vest.

You may have already discovered this.  Because of the chokes, you have to roll your shot cards on your finger and insert them sideways to start them.  Then straighten them with your ramrod.  I used 60 grs. of 2F and an equal measure of #6  shot for almost everything.  3F would shoot the wad thru the shot and blow the pattern.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dewey

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:27:18 AM »
Doc - what size (thickness) cardboard are you using ???

I'm always wanting to try something new in my 20  ga Chief's gun !
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:29:14 AM by Dewey »

Offline Doc

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:39:16 AM »
Dewey,

I cut the discs from a used priority mail box and after punching, they mic'd out at .060.  It is corugated, but compresses down when punching.  The wad was just a 3/4" (approx) ball of tow.

Doc

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »
A bit off topic but 6'8" an 250 lbs.  :o  Yall grow em big around there dont ya
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dewey

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
Dewey,

I cut the discs from a used priority mail box and after punching, they mic'd out at .060.  It is corugated, but compresses down when punching.  The wad was just a 3/4" (approx) ball of tow.

Doc

Thanks, Doc - I'll give it  a try !!!

Vomitus

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 09:26:20 PM »
   Glad you like her!