Author Topic: Kibler .36 Walnut Kit  (Read 47314 times)

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
Re: Kibler .36 Walnut Kit
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
I stopped counting....  :-\

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »
Note to self.......check with Mike before proceeding with build ;D

thimble rig

« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2016, 03:20:53 PM »
The toe plate looks great.And the lock turned out really good.That should look really nice with the walnut stock finished and all put together.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
While waiting for the new Toe Plate Steel
Are you growing a new one or something? :P

Hey PPatch, Don't be showing him stuff like that , I'm trying to break him of some bad habits..... ;D
If builders keep this up we are going to need the moderators to start a new discussion board called "pimp my rifle".  :o
David

Some years ago I built a nice but plain half stock rifle for a co-worker.  The day after receiving the gun, he told he had a dream the previous night.  In his dream, I made him a gun that had thin chromed tubing wrapping completely around the barrel and rib, chromed trigger guard with fuzzy dice hanging from the bow, chromed butt plate, and I placed huge flame decals on both sides of the butt stock.  That's a pimped out gun.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

galudwig

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »
Note to self.......check with Mike before proceeding with build ;D

It would definitely cut down on time spent re-doing things! 😀

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »
Finishing the stock for it's final sanding and "finish"  - wetted the wood for "Whiskering" and thought I would take a picture or two to see how it will look when finished.  - No stain. This shows the quality and the grain of the wood Jim provided - Very nice piece of Walnut. Again, this is just wet with water - final finish starts this weekend.

I think the "Grey" metal on the wood will look just fine - not too dark, not too rustic -

thimble rig

« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2016, 11:34:19 PM »
That looks really good Kingsbury.Almost range time.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2016, 05:17:09 AM »
Looking really good.
Love the new toe plate.  Looks much more at home. ;)

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
Looks really good!  Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.  I have also ordered a kit and look forward to making a go of it.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2016, 06:06:15 PM »
I do have a question, is the tail end of the lock supposed to be proud of the wood?I'm not real familiar with smr's.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2016, 12:55:26 AM »
Joe - I just placed the lock in position for the picture - the lock is almost flush with the wood when bolted in -

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2016, 01:12:30 AM »
Ok, was not sure about that.Your rifle looks great too.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2016, 06:08:44 AM »
Kingsburyarms,
Very nice work on an excellent new rifle. One question, how or better yet, what did you use to elongate your barrel lug pin holes. Thanks and looking forward to your finished rifle.
elkhorne

Offline Ezra

« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2016, 06:57:22 AM »
Really nice work Kingsbury.  I just ordered and paid for the same thing this morning.  A Kibler .36 Southern Mountain Rifle kit in walnut.  Patiently waiting its arrival.  ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »
Kingsburyarms,
Very nice work on an excellent new rifle. One question, how or better yet, what did you use to elongate your barrel lug pin holes. Thanks and looking forward to your finished rifle.
elkhorne

Well - There are a few ways to do it - From drilling the "main" hole and then removing the pipe, using a fine tipped punch on either side of the hole with a hammer to make a deep "path" and drill right next to the "Main one" and then Rat tail file between the holes to make the slot - Or (Classic/historic builders please cover ears) I use a Dremel tool with a diamond bit that is the same size as the drilled hole, and just apply slight side-ward pressure and it will elongate the hole for you.  Clean, straight and I don't have to worry about the breaking or sharpness of the drill bit. (if the drill bit is dull, it will find it's way back into the main hole as you drill)

http://www.pjtool.com/20pcdiamondpointset.aspx?gclid=CJOh0L6OyM0CFUEfhgod7eAIKA

You can see, the bits are small and sharp - those are 1/8 inch shanks. (and yes, I use them to clean up the lock area in the wood for a precise fit and to trim the sides of inlet and tang grooves)... a slow setting on a variable speed Dremel..

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2016, 02:38:51 PM »
Really nice work Kingsbury.  I just ordered and paid for the same thing this morning.  A Kibler .36 Southern Mountain Rifle kit in walnut.  Patiently waiting its arrival.  ;D

Ez

You will love this kit, the Walnut, the precise fitting and the complete set of screws, fittings and such - I look forward to your build!! -

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
I think Kibler is going to put me out of a job with all this "do it yourself" gun building going on..... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »
Mike - it is a "Gun Building Forum" -  8)

Jim's kits are a wonderful way for us rookies to get involved in making these classic rifles. When I started, I read many of the books available, and there were "kits" from "assembled in the white" to "Here is a tree"

This kit allows a person with beginning knowledge to actually accomplish a very nice rifle, while learning the terminology, the skills and the artwork that goes into these pieces of history.

I'm sure there will still be a market for finished rifles -  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:26:08 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
I think Kibler is going to put me out of a job with all this "do it yourself" gun building going on..... ;D
I hope not.  Then I would have to apply for a job carving stocks for Jim since you would not need my services any longer.  ::)  Actually, Jim's kits have been tempting.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »
I appreciate how meticulous you've been throughout the process. I'm sure she'll ( he'll, or it) will be lovely when your done. Remembering to always be P.C. here and not offend anyone. But if I had as many chisels as you I'd whittle myself a P-51 Mustang or a Duesenberg. Looking forward to seeing our new rifle. What do you intend to name her?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »
It's going to my 14 year old son Nick - So he has the "rights" to name it - and as for the chisels - I have a co-worker in Germany that found out I started this adventure in "gun building" and sent me two sets of German made "woodcarving" sets as a gift - A few are duplicates, as the two kits complemented each other, but using David Price's sharpening technique, they hold a very good edge.

I made the rack from an Oak stair tread I got at a big box hardware store for $7

It's more for show than go - but it's nice to have 50 options... :) -

Will be finished this weekend (I could have done it much faster, but work and such does take it's place) and it's so much fun to  build... Pictures to follow -

Jon
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:25:06 PM by Kingsburyarms »

thimble rig

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2016, 03:08:32 PM »
That's awesome you building that for youre son.That rifle will be a fine one for him.It might be a little long for him at first but he will grow into it.And these rifles shoot really good.Hes going to have a blast with it.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Now, That was FUN!!!!!!!!!

Offline JBJ

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
Well done!!
J.B.

galudwig

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2016, 06:03:11 PM »
Nice work Kingsbury! Now go out and get her dirty!  ;)