Author Topic: Full stock percussion rifle  (Read 3901 times)

Offline haddockkl

Full stock percussion rifle
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »
Turned this up from a neighbor who got it from his father's estste. It was purchased somewhere in northern Michigan but I have no idea where it originates. It has a 41.25in swamped barrel in about .53-.55cal, no cheek rest, and no signature I can discern. It has what looks like a brass trigger bar. The lock is a single notched tumbler percussion lock from Pennsylvania Rifle Works so it suggests that this is a utility grade pre 1860 rifle. If anyone has any idea where this piece originated, or other info it is appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:18:53 PM by haddockkl »

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Full stock percussion rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:54:12 PM »
This late period percussion gun is so generic that it would be hard to identify a source of manufacture. It looks like manufactured parts stocked up by a part time gunsmith to me.

Hungry Horse

Offline haddockkl

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Agreed, I suspect it is a hardware store parts gun. The barrel is interesting though, it is an 8 groove, and is about 1.10 at the breech, .90 8in behind the muzzle and .95 at the muzzle.

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »
I like the rifle.  It looks like the drum and nipple may have been replaced in more recent times.

James Levy
James Levy

Offline haddockkl

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 08:53:39 PM »
They are definitely new, the nipple is actually fractured because the sear spring doesn't sit right in its indexing slot in the plate, as a result it is more than a little touchy. To make matters worse, some primative gunsmiths answer to this was to pound on the iron screw, and effectively making it into a rivet. There is still some original case coloring on the tumbler and the inside of the lock is simple but remarkably clean so I don't plan on drilling the screw to repair the sear spring, but I may replace the drum yet again with a more correct style.... or just leave it as I found it.

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:35 PM »
It says "Pennsylvania Rifle Works" on the lock they were a bulk producer of inexpensive rifles in Philadelphia from 1833 to about 1870. There is a thread on this forum and a bit on the web. I think Kaufman may have something on them. Probably original with some repairs
kind regards, heinz

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:10:22 AM »
I think it's a nice looking rifle in very nice condition.  I'd be very happy to have it in my collection.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:42:51 AM »
It's a nice looking ca. 1850 rifle in good condition. If the gun were a Pennsylvania Rifle Works gun, I would expect the barrel to carry the same stamp. Without that stamp on the barrel, I doubt it was made by Pennsylvania Rifle works. But since the gun has a PA marked lock, and a nice, triangular butt profile, I'd suggest it probably came from central PA. Too bad there is no trace of the maker's initials or a name stamp on the barrel a few inches behind the rear sight, since the gun is nicely made and in good condition. If you find any trace of a name on top of the barrel, let us know, since we can then probably figure out who made it. Shelby Gallien

Offline haddockkl

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »
Thanks, I'll lghtly burnish the barrel ans see if anything pokes through, I still have to pull the barrel out anyway.