Author Topic: Original early model Baker rifle and Baker rifled carbine  (Read 5790 times)

4th La.

Original early model Baker rifle and Baker rifled carbine
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:48:29 AM »
How rare are original baker rifles and the rifled Baker carbine. have any of you guys seen any for sale. Originals not contemporary guns.

Thanks.

Offline Monty59

Re: Original early model Baker rifle and Baker rifled carbine
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »
Hello,
take a look at that link here  http://www.firearmscollector.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=83
it is a dealer in UK

Monty

hammer

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
They do come up for sale occasionally in the UK.     Condition is everything as with any other antique.  Very many were private build for volunteer militia units or for private purchase.   It is frequently these that have survived, and often do not exactly follow the Ordnance issue patterns.   Most military surplus was sold to foreign governments.
The carbine models are especially rare.

eddillon

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 11:10:25 PM »
Here in the UK only a few come up at auction which if in good condition  alaways fetch a four figure sum
Feltwad

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
I did not know very much about the Baker rifles or the carbine until Darrin and I built the documentary copy of the Sheetz rifle that was used at the Battle of New Orleans for the CLA auction a couple of years ago. The current owner of the Sheetz also has quite a collection of Battle of New Orleans artifacts among which are a Baker rifle and carbine. That is when I found out that they had played a role in the battle on the side of the Brittish.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

hammer

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:53:33 PM »
And the surplus British Baker and Brown Bess armed the Spanish in the Texas Rebellion in 1836.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:47:08 AM »
I have a friend in England who once got access to the basement of Buckingham Palace and  said he was shown a room which contained 100's and 100's of unfired Baker rifles standing in racks.  He about went "bonkers".