Author Topic: Spitzer question  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Spitzer question
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
I got a look at an (attributed) Henry Spitzer rifle this morning. The side plate and barrel tang sure had Spitzer's shape and piercings. The buttplate , cheekpiece, triggers and guard , the brass, square headed barrel keys all looked like Spitzer's work to me. However, the patchbox had a crude shape and rudimentary engraving. It did not have flower petals around the screw heads. It was a 3 knuckle hinge. The barrel was only marked D S. The gun was percussion when bought. I was wondering who D S might be. Your thoughts, comments Please.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Spitzer question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
Nordnecker,
I once owned a rifle with D S on the barrel and am sure based on the style of the rifle, that is was made by NC gunmaker David Sheets.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson