Author Topic: Help identifying maker of longrifle  (Read 3372 times)

wvgeoff

Help identifying maker of longrifle
« on: June 24, 2016, 03:13:22 AM »
I'm hoping someone can tell me about the gunsmith who built this longrifle. It belonged to my deceased father-in-law who passed away before I could find out any information about it. None of his kids even remember seeing it. He lived in Ohio.  He or his father may have taken it in trade at some point.

It's about a .32 or .33 caliber. The patchbox still has balls in it.

I went over all the metal on the gun and couldn't find any initials or dates. The lock has a little engraving on it but nothing special. Thanks for any info on this!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:14:45 AM by wvgeoff »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Help identifying maker of longrifle
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:24:43 AM »
Reminds me of Thomas Allison
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

wvgeoff

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
Thanks for that info! I'll see what I can find of his work.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:51:13 PM »
The patchbox reminds me of him, but that box was used by many western PA gunsmiths.  The sideplate does not look like any of his that I've seen.  It might help
you more than the patchbox in identification.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.