Author Topic: Longhorns for powder horns? Will they work?  (Read 5281 times)

toddsndrsn

Longhorns for powder horns? Will they work?
« on: June 25, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »
I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to the horning game.  I made my first powder horn last summer, did't turn out bad, but I know there are things I could have done a lot different.  Needless to say, I want to try my hand at another.  I ran into one of my cousins at our annual Fathers' Day reunion.  He was showing off pictures of his newest "hobby", raising longhorns.  I asked him if he had any horns that I could take off his hands.  Basically it comes down to a barn full.  My first concern is will they work for making powder horns and my second concern is that the cores were never removed.  I'm guess an extensive soaking then trying to boil them will loosen them?

Offline Elnathan

Re: Longhorns for powder horns? Will they work?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »
Go for it, particularly if you can get 'em for free.

I think the biggest question is how long they are, as too big they will be an encumbrance and if cut down much you will lose the curve and twist...there is always the question of how thick, are they brittle, etc., common to all horns, but you will have to get the core out before you can answer those questions, I think.

I believe that a lot of the F&I War horns with that lovely twist were made from Spanish cattle, shipped up from the Caribbean, and therefore made from the ancestors of the longhorns.

I think it is definitely worth picking out some with a nice shape and giving them a go. I've been eying the longhorns on a "ranch" near me (longhorns in the Blue Ridge, go figure...) and wondering if it would be worth it to go talk to the owner.

If nothing else, a longhorn would make a nice storage horn, I bet. Also make good fodder for making rum horns and the like.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »
Everyone is different, but I don't care for horns with a lot of twist.  I might dig through the pile until I found one with little twist.  Obviously, not everyone agrees with me.  And that's a good thing.  It'd be a boring world if everyone thought like me.   ;-)   Best wishes,   Marc

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:42:36 AM »
To remove the core/bone:  drill a hole in the end of the bone and run a 3/8" lag screw into the bone.  Boil the horn for at least an hour.  Secure the end of the lag screw in a sollid bench vise, and pull on the horn firmly and steadily with oven mitts.  Ifg it doesn't come away, boil it another half hour and try again.  The bone and the connective liner will likely pull out in one go, and leave the horn fairly clean.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »
 FWIW I would say they are not good candidates for Powder Horns.  Most I've seen are to straight and the tips tend to be solid for a long way. For 10-15 bucks you can buy horns from Powder Horns and More, Village Restorations and others that you can make a nice horn from.  If you are in the area there will be lots of horns at Dixons, last Weekend of Jul or  at the CLA show in Lexington Ky, 19-20 Aug.

Tim C.   

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
I would sure agree with Tim on this thing.
Long horns do not equal good powder horns, the shape is just wrong.
BUT
As he said, the tips are solid for a long way.  One can make wonderful applied or screw tips out of them.
And, one can get some good rum horns and panels for combs, etc out of the bodies.
For powder horns, definitely give Gerry at Powder Horns and More a call.  He has a bunch of nice horns.
Or, go to Dixons or the CLA shows and see exactly what you are getting.
Also, at various other events like rendezvous, shows, etc, you might find someone selling horns.
John

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »
I made a powder horn a few years from one that was about 2 ft. I used the cut off from the big end for a couple rum horns. The tip was more solid than others but was still workable. Go for it, if anything it's good practice.

I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
 Right you are John. I get so wound up in the Powder Horns I forget about all the other stuff that can be made from it.

Tim C.

RoaringBull

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:39:58 AM »
If the feller is just giving them away, grab a double arm load and sell them! Keep a couple back to practice on!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 03:25:29 AM »
They're good for making horn contaainers of various kinds. The long solid ends can be useful for turning.  Powder horns, not so much.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline J Henry

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
  If you pass on them let me know.Solid tips make powder measures and such,to long and hollow make bands for 3  banded horns.Make a big horn for a 'Family" horn,fill your day horn from it on your way out the door..Flat horns from the left overs,,lots of useful things to do with the horn..Step out side the box,,hair combs,godets,,

toddsndrsn

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Since they are free I'm going to pick a bunch up just to see what I can do with them.  I've only had a powder horn in mind since it's most functional for me for my interests, but the powder measure sound like a great idea too.  I'm interested in learning a little about doing schrimshaw as well so these should be good practice pieces to get the hang of it before going to a nicer horn.  Who knows, I might come up with something great.  I certainly will share with the forum when I get a few in hand.  He's 6 hours from me so it'll be awhile until my next trip up that way.  I may make my way to Dixon's.  It's not far from where my dad lives.  Good excuse to take my dad out and share some time on a hobby he introduced me so many years ago.

Spinner

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 02:09:03 AM »
Roland Cadle usually has a few of those longhorns in his horn pile at Lewisburg.  I have found ones with nice thickness at the large end.  They don't take much straightening and turn nicely for large boxes -- in this case, a music box.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 05:01:26 PM »
 That! Is one of the coolest Horn items I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

Tim C.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 05:00:30 AM »
Spinner, I believe I have seen this one before. Loved it then and it still tickles me.

Steve
Steve Skillman