Author Topic: Patchbox ID  (Read 5039 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Patchbox ID
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
 This Patrick box lid and finial reminded me of Martin Fry it's on A 46 inch octagon to round smooth bore gun. Looking for other ideas on the maker.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Patchbox ID
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:19:32 AM »
I think I remember seeing a Michael Edwards rifle with a similar patch box. His work is much better than this(sorry). More engraving.  He did work in York county .That may be a place to look.  I can't tell from the picture but maybe this is a possibility.
JIM

Offline okieboy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:28:35 PM »
I would like to see more of the gun. It looks like a very attractive buttstock.
Okieboy

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »
I'll post photos of the rest of the gun.  It curiously had a Rupp like architecture with a York County Patchbox finial.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »
 The piercings remind me of a Sells attributed gun, Pg 415 of Kindig's Thoughts on the Ky rifle.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:01:27 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »

Here's a nice curly trigger.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:27 PM »
I sort of agree with Schreck as the top patchbox leaf fits differently against the buttplate...? ( added or replaced) and perhpas the lid extends a bit beyond the butt plate rest as well ( could be angle of photo)?
Hurricane

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:37:27 AM »
I have a very similar rifle marked J. Roop on the barrel and the lock. It is in the ALR museum. Here is a link.     http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7481.0