Author Topic: Walnut Log Question  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Top Jaw

Walnut Log Question
« on: July 02, 2016, 02:40:14 AM »
A coworker is having a walnut log band sawed into lumber.  We agreed on me getting a 3" slab from the base.  I picked the angle I wanted and marked a section out taking advantage of two flares at the base which should have some good grain in the butt and also through the wrist.  This isnt an overly large log about 22" at 4 ft high.  But the base flares enough to make it work.   

The base looked great when we cut it, and I sealed it with paint.  When he cut it at about 8ft long, there was what looked like a "inner" ring of secondary sap wood about 10 inches in diameter, growing on the inside area of the tree????  it was about an inch and a half wide, similar to the outside sap wood below the bark.  There was no bark present that I could see, so its not a tree growing in a tree, just this second inner lighter ring of wood.  It might mess up my plans for the plank now, as I don't know how far down it runs.  Your thoughts.  Anyone ever see this before?

Offline Top Jaw

Re: Walnut Log Question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 02:45:23 AM »
Meant to post this in "gunbuilding".

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
 Walnuts trees are often grafted to a more marketable variety. What you most likely have is a tree that was grafted from Black walnut, to a highbred English variety.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
You can stain the sap wood. This gun had sap wood in the toe and the area where the ram rod enters the lower forestock. A light coat of stain over the whole stock balanced everything out.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:25:02 PM by Ky-Flinter »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:00:16 AM »
Mike seems to work miracles. Know matter how bad the stock looks. Wished I had some (any) of his talent.

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 06:09:40 AM »
If the log is still green, it may change as it dries. Green walnut sometimes is actually green in color or has greenish or lighter stripes that go away as it dries.
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
If you slab it at 3" thick you will have a lot of waste when you make it into a rifle -- I had maple slabed into 3" thick planks and only used that thickness for three rifles that I have built. The 3" thickness on my maple shrunk to a little less than 2-7/8"when it was dry. If I did it again I would have it slabed to 2-3/4" and would have one more plank out of the log. My suggestion use it as you will ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb