Author Topic: aprture sight  (Read 3560 times)

Offline frogwalking

aprture sight
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:53:26 AM »
I am building a rifle, but the question concerns shooting.  The rifle is  Tennessee style, and therefore has a good bit of drop, so my eye aligns nicely with the barrel when it is raised.  I can't see very well and am considering making a dovetailed aperture sight and installing it just in front of the internal portion of the breechplug.  I think I can align the center of the aperture with the top of the front sight, mostly by carefully measuring the barrel cross section and determining the line of sight (as I normally do with a regular open rear sight).  The front would be left a little high so it can be sighted in by filing it down.  The rear aperture will, of course be adjustable only for windage. The question is this; do any of you shoot with a rear aperture sight and a flat topped post front sight?  Our normal blade front sights appear from the rear to be a flat top post, even though they look like a traditional longrifle sight from the side.  If anyone shoots this type of rig, how does it work?
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Online smokinbuck

Re: aprture sight
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:58:28 AM »
You might want to look into a front sight similar to the TC Hawken. It appears "close" to traditional but has  a round brass bead on top which would work better with the rear peep sight.
Mark
Mark

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 03:51:57 AM »
Anyone who shot an M1 Garand knows that flat top post in a round aperture sight picture. It works fine. It also used to be a standard on both small bore target rifles. There are other front options but the flat topped post is among the best
kind regards, heinz

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 04:18:54 AM »
Anyone who shot an M1 Garand knows that flat top post in a round aperture sight picture. It works fine. It also used to be a standard on both small bore target rifles. There are other front options but the flat topped post is among the best

I totally agree. Should work just fine.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 04:37:08 AM »
I forgot the Garand.  The Navy still used them in boot camp when I went through in 1968.  Thanks.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 05:55:32 AM »
How about a lollypop sight mounted thru the tang.  You would have windage and elevation and it would not be out of place on such a rifle.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 10:08:47 PM »
It should work just fine; in fact, I like that idea.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:18:27 AM »
Mr. Frog, Mr. Osprey posted a few pictures of a beautiful flinter he built with sights even old eyes can make shoot straight. Posted March 10, 2015. I believe it's page 28. Take a look. Unfortunately I forget if it was gun building or black powder shooting. But worth finding.