Author Topic: Is you flinter this fast?  (Read 7858 times)

Offline EC121

Is you flinter this fast?
« on: July 05, 2016, 02:59:24 AM »
While we were testing the cotton duck patching today, Sqrldog shot a video of my Barker rifle going off.  His is just as fast.  Late Ketland lock.  1/16" touch hole.  Full pan of Null B priming but 4f is about the same.  Pletch says Null B is faster but only for the test equipment not human perception.    www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com
Brice Stultz

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Is you flinter this fast?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
Yes.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is. I prime with Goex 4fg, and all my flintlock rifles seem very fast to me, so much so that I really don't feel they are slow at all.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »
Yep, fast.  I've got two with the Chambers Siler.  Even my old Hatfield is fast once I found the right size flint.  Prime with Goex 4ffff.  I've shot the .53 cal with the Chambers lock primed with 3fff and she's reliable but I notice a wee bit slower on some shots but not enough to make a difference on the target.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »
I'd say the two I shoot regularly, a 50 with a siler (Goex 3f) and a 36 cal (the same, 3f) with a Chambers late ketland fire that fast. It surprises those who have the impression that a flintlock is inherently slow to fire. Click/KA-BOOM! is the way she goes, an almost imperceptible 'delay.' I often use Goex 4f for primer.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »
While we were testing the cotton duck patching today, Sqrldog shot a video of my Barker rifle going off.  His is just as fast.  Late Ketland lock.  1/16" touch hole.  Full pan of Null B priming but 4f is about the same.  Pletch says Null B is faster but only for the test equipment not human perception.    www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com
MAN that is FAST!!!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
So many people have formed their flintlock ideas from the movies.  They have never seen a good working flintlock.  The hog I killed recently had the rifle primed with 3F because I couldn't find my primer in the dark.  I used a bit of one of my premeasured loads instead.  Seemed to be just about as fast from a windowsill rest in a shooting house while concentrating on the hog.  While watching the hog and squeezing the single trigger, I never felt the trigger break.  The rifle just went "Boom!".  
Brice Stultz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »
My .36 ( frizzen re-hardened and tempered by Taylor) and new .50 seem about identical. My old .45, sold to one of our guys, with an L&R Dickert lock, about the same as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
I think mine is actually just a tiny bit faster.😊 Tim Cosby

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 06:26:13 PM »
I have one that is fast enough to elicit comments about the speed from fellow shooters.  The BOOM coincides with the trigger break.  I'm not aware of hearing the flint strike the frizzen.  Rifle has an L&R late english lock and a Nock patent breech.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »
Yes, my .45 Lancaster with a large Siler lock is just as fast.  My .50 with the Chambers GA lock is seemingly equal as is my .40 Lancaster/Siler lock.  I prime with 4F FWIW.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 12:35:59 AM »
I think my gun may be 100X faster than everyone's gun.  ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 02:24:06 AM »
It can't be, because my Thompson Center is ! 😂 And, And, it even fires upside down!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:27:24 AM by Frizzen »
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 02:29:16 AM »
It can't be, because my Thompson Center is ! 😂 And, And, it even fires upside down!

Fires upside down because prime is falling into the sparks. >:(

Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 03:08:35 AM »
I think mine is just as fast, even when I primed with 1&1/2 Swiss on last springs Manitoba Bear hunt.  :)

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 12:49:26 PM »
I have one that is fast enough to elicit comments about the speed from fellow shooters.  The BOOM coincides with the trigger break.  I'm not aware of hearing the flint strike the frizzen.  Rifle has an L&R late english lock and a Nock patent breech.

I read your response, especially noting the comment about ...."hearing the flint strike the frizzen".
I'm shooting a Chambers Large Siler, primed with Swiss Null B. It has been my observation that if I hear the flint striking and scraping down the face of the frizzen...it's time to touch up the edge of the rock.
Doing so gets me back to the point where it's all one "sound" without discernible parts to it.
I'm curious if others have made similar observations.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 03:23:02 PM »
I might not be fast, but I'm pretty slow.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

nosrettap1958

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
I would like to say mine is but watching that video again, man that is fast.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:25:52 PM by crawdad »

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »
Nice.  I can barely hear the sound of the lock and primer before the main charge goes off. 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline EC121

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
At my age and hearing loss I religiously use earplugs(NRR 33) and lately muffs(NRR 33) over the plugs( They do help.) to prevent any more damage.   So, I have to go by the feel.  If I get a bit of hesitation, I work on the rock.  The flint in the video cracked in half on that shot.  I had to replace it with a good sharp one.  While I don't hear the flint impact, I think that sometimes I "hear" the trigger bar hit the sear bar or possibly the flint hitting the frizzen in my cheekbone.  Sort of a click before the gun fires.  That might also be a tip off to check the edge of the flint. 
Brice Stultz

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »
My .45, especially, is really fast and fires just a fraction prior to the flint touching the frizzen.  ::)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EC121

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 10:21:55 PM »
I want one of those "anticipation locks".   ;D
Brice Stultz