Author Topic: D.T.Hawken  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Herb

D.T.Hawken
« on: July 05, 2016, 05:50:04 AM »
I was on a Hawken hunt to Cheyenne, WY and Lincoln, NE and found this Hawken in the Nebraska State Historical Society Museum in Lincoln.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:54:57 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline smokinbuck

Re: D.T.Hawken
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:13:35 AM »
Herb,
Due to your extensive research you may be aware of it already, but I have a friend who lives near Springfield, Ohio who has a DT Hawken. His is far from pristine but is, as I recall, in much better condition than the one pictured here.
Mark
Mark

Offline Herb

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »
Thanks, Mark.  I ain't as smart as I am handsome, I did not know about another D.T.Hawken except the one made in Colorado Territory that looks like Sam's work.
Herb

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »
Herb, I think the Hawken you are thinking about made in Colorado territory is by W.S. Hawken . However there are several D.T. Hawken rifles around . They pretty much all look the same like the one you pictured . Compared to the St.Louis Hawkens they are not very pretty and all of them I've seen are all very small caliber .

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 02:00:01 AM »
moseswhite, you are correct.  Thanks for posting that.
Herb

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:16:37 PM »
 There was a good reference to D.T. Hawken, and his brother John, in an old Muzzleblasts. They both made rifles in and around Ohio before moving west. Most are small caliber, and of about average quality. For some reason almost all of them are in rough shape, possibly due to production shortcuts.

Hungry Horse