Author Topic: Are we more worried about looks as opposed to performance?  (Read 26030 times)

Offline little joe

Re: Are we more worried about looks as opposed to performance?
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »
Saw JL at a match in My View Arkansas 25 or so years ago.  His infamous ugly rifle looked like he'd it for a fire poker. I was still shooting per-suction then and managed to win against JL, Carl Hagler, Tom Gillman, Jim Luke, Dewey Conrad, Jeff Dobson, Harry Goldman and others.  Heck of a match.  A couple of us were reminiscing a few months ago when JL's gun was mentioned. Still remember that hammer w one claw broke off.

As Bob Hope said "Thanks for the memories"
TC
If you bested JL on one of his good days my compliments to you sir.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2016, 02:41:14 PM »
I shot against him many times. NEVER beat him. Of course I was shooting much cooler guns than he was.....I figured it's not how good you shoot it's how good you look while you're doing it. ;D Or at least that's what I had convinced myself after being beat down at every match. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »
That's what I like about Taylor's Rifles, Mike - they look good and they win more times than not.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »
I no longer look or perform good, and am not worried about either one bit.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

nosrettap1958

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »
Every builder and every shooter should have the best they can afford as long as it is safe. I have shot 45 years and  have saw some National contenders shoot some pretty ugly stuff. They would wipe your arse and send you home in a heart beat. One a school teacher from S. ILL. was in the top contenders at Friendship. His workmanship was sub standard but his shooting was super.

Little Joe,
Would the shooter from So Ill happen to be J L Hargis? Back 35  + - years ago I competed regularly in So Ill and So Indiana matches, J L would show up with a floppy leather hat and a gun that the stock split from the breach to the muzzle and held together by Red Grey Yellow Black and any color tape he could find he also  taped a few chunks of lead to the stock " We called them "J L shooting stabilizers", He brought  an old small rusty tool box complete with a claw hammer with one of the claws broken off to start the balls a rusty can of powder and a few cluttered essentials and preceded to clean everybody's clock and is still winning his share of the matches at Friendship today !! He wore out something like 4 H&H barrels and 3 or so " Haddaway locks" ? However the triggers broke crisp and the lock was tuned to perfection!! The gun looked like a piece of junk and If you would see it at a flea market at first glance you would not have given $25.00 for it!!Talk about playing mind games with other shooters he was the KING!!

In my opinion that H&H barrel puts it squarely in the custom class regardless of looks. I think a lot of 'custom' rifles from builders today are ugly but that still doesn't disqualify them as a custom. Yes it the shooter but the shooter with a goof piece of equipment. Still haven't seen anyone win a match shooting a Spanish Jukar or a Euroarms offered rifle, have you?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:38:47 AM by crawdad »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2016, 12:51:56 AM »
I was at a woodswalk once and the only shooter to break the two clay pigeons at the axe head was a woman shooting an import.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2016, 12:55:24 AM »
I knew there had to be somebody.  ::)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
I knew there had to be somebody.  ::)
Had to be a woman too....I hate shooting against women and kids.... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2016, 03:25:02 PM »
I never have felt comfortable around a woman with a gun. I figure she might be kin to my ex wife an I dont heal up as fast as I used too
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »
Percentage wise, women are my far the best benchrest shooters that I ever competed against. For some reason they excel in that type of shooting.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2016, 08:50:34 PM »
Percentage wise, women are my far the best benchrest shooters that I ever competed against. For some reason they excel in that type of shooting.
Dennis

And doesn't that just infuriate you!!!!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.