Author Topic: CLA Show Question  (Read 12956 times)

Offline SR James

CLA Show Question
« on: July 13, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
A friend and I are considering attending the upcoming CLA Annual show in Lexington for the first time.  Our primary purpose is to shop for quality longrifles.  I've looked at the posted pictures of previous shows and there are obviously a lot of rifles on display.  However, it appeared to me that a number of the displays were more along the lines of someone's collection on display rather than rifles that are actually for sale.  Since it's a long drive to Lexington from here, my question concerns the availability of rifles for sale at the show.  Is there typically a decent selection of rifles in the $3-5000 range available for purchase?  Thanks.

Offline sqrldog

Re: CLA Show Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:18:47 PM »
You will find some high end rifles for sale at the CLA . The rifles are not as available as you would find at a traditional gun show. Worth the trip a resounding yes. Will you find a rifle to buy that depends on what you are looking for as to style period caliber etc. You will have the opportunity to see some of the best work available and meet many of better makers.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »
I'll be interested in replies from other folks.  I would guess that there will be 75 -100 or more fine rifles in your price range and for sale, plus pistols, knives and many other items.  Don't forget the auction items.  Not many western or later fur trade rifles like Hawken, Henry, Leman et al.  Eastern arms, early to late, with more iron mounted rifles than ever existed in one place before.  Several friends go there to shop, just as you are considering, and come home happy - either with a rifle and/or with one on order.  Promoting the work of contemporary builders is why the CLA was formed, and buyers are definitely welcome.

Some builders and fancier rifles will cost a little to a good deal more.  Some deliver finished rifles to customers at the show, take new orders and pick up parts, and a good deal of trading goes on there.
Yes, there are display tables, where buyers like yourself share what they have assembled over the years.  Maybe you and your friend will have such a table in the future.  Be sure to walk across the lobby to the displays of original rifles.  This show is a great combination of old and new.  You'll probably come home with a rifle, meet many builders, maybe line up a custom order at some point, and who knows??

See you there and have fun.

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:42:56 AM »
If you have a particular maker in mind you can contact them and ask them if they are coming to the show. If they have something on hand they may bring it for you to look over.  There are  two great rifles in the auction, one iron mounted sort of Lexington rifle and one very close copy of an early Dickert with an awesome stock. Both of those builders may have a piece in inventory. You can see pictures on the CLA site by going to the CL Foundation link.

I would agree there are at least 75 guns in your price range. Bill Pritchard is always there, Mike Miller, jim Parker, Daren McDonal, Jim Chambers, Ian Pratt, Jim Parker, Roger Sells, and many others occasionally have some inventory from trades, or guns they are selling for an old customer. 
There are a lot of items you will not see for sale anywhere else.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 03:29:53 AM »
I promise, you'll run out of money before you run out of rifles.  But yes, there is a lot of display "not for sale".  And yes a lot of displays of works to order.  For a first time attendee it can be overwhelming however.  They should have a rule that works offered for sale have a price tag and that sellers man their displays and not run off to some far corner for seemingly hours on end with the neighboring guy looking out for the missing sellers table.   There is so much to see and at least for me I could not recall who or where something was once I left that table and tried to find it 4 hours later.  But that was a first time attendee problem and subsequently I seemed to have a better grip on how to make the rounds.  I'll also say that if you find something you like and the price is right better buy it 'cause odds are that by the time you go around once and try to come back, it may be gone.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 05:46:43 AM »
Molly is dead on with his advice. Went for the first time last year. To say overwhelming is an understatement!!!!!  If you don't find a rifle there to your liking I would be surprised.  Oldtravler

Offline SR James

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Many thanks to all of you for your input and advice.  I'm sure that with 75 or so guns to choose from I'll find something I like.  Molly, I'm a veteran of many, many Wanenmacher Gun Shows in Tulsa with well over 4000 tables so I know full well what you mean about finding your way back to something you looked at earlier (I carry a notepad) and the risk of it not being there when you come back.  But while there are a fair number of original longrifles at that show, higher end contemporary guns are pretty scarce.  We are just too far west.

Well, you guys have got me pumped to go.  I've been shooting and occasionally building muzzleloaders for many years but opportunities to see many higher end rifles in one place are pretty scarce around here.  My friend and I went to Nationals in Friendship for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.  I stocked up on parts for future builds but higher quality rifles were few.  So we thought we'd give the CLA show a shot. I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »
Many thanks to all of you for your input and advice.  I'm sure that with 75 or so guns to choose from I'll find something I like.  Molly, I'm a veteran of many, many Wanenmacher Gun Shows in Tulsa with well over 4000 tables so I know full well what you mean about finding your way back to something you looked at earlier (I carry a notepad) and the risk of it not being there when you come back.  But while there are a fair number of original longrifles at that show, higher end contemporary guns are pretty scarce.  We are just too far west.

Well, you guys have got me pumped to go.  I've been shooting and occasionally building muzzleloaders for many years but opportunities to see many higher end rifles in one place are pretty scarce around here.  My friend and I went to Nationals in Friendship for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.  I stocked up on parts for future builds but higher quality rifles were few.  So we thought we'd give the CLA show a shot. I'm really looking forward to it.

If I were a gambling man I'd bet big bucks that you will enjoy the CLA show. Lexington is a nice city and the Rupp Arena where this event is held is great and there is a small shopping area for the ladies if they are so inclined. There is no junk,ammo,camo.AK 47's or relics of long and thankfully defunct political systems. Long rifles plain and simple or really dressed up and parts and other bits and pieces. We are only 125 miles away from it with Interstate 64 all the way. There are only muzzleloaders and no breech loaders unless it's a Ferguson.
It IS something to look forward to so have a safe trip.

Bob Roller

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 06:20:47 AM »
BTW, SR James, you can also find some high end quality yet not necessarily high prices.  On my first visit I did not see a lot of rifles trading hands.  Fact is most attendees probably have several already but the desire for another never seems to go away.  I have seen a good many $1500 to $2500 rifles there which were dripping with style and class.  I mean these things left an image burned in my retina that lasted until December.

And don't overlook offerings on this forum.  Usually some top quality rifles for sale and honestly I think they offer more in value that the sellers are usually asking in $$.  The Soddy rifle just listed and sold is s perfect example. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:25:49 AM by Molly »

Offline Mick C

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
The CLA shows I've had the pleasure of attending were near overwhelming.  I have no doubt you will find a very nice rifle within your price range.  My recommendation is to stay in the hotel attached to the convention center.  I found it very helpful to stroll through the show several times as I found new things to look it each time and staying in essentially the same building was wonderful.  Also if you keep an eye out, you can meet and talk with nearly all of the top makers.

One other thought...I have attended the Dixion's Gunmakers Fair a number of times and while I love it as well, my experience is that the CLA is less hectic and much easier to negotiate and explore.  Well worth the trip....Mick C
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:58:18 PM by Mick C »
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
Better place to be on a hot day as well!

IKE

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 05:09:59 AM »
I will be at the CLA show and will have some rifles in your price range Stop by and say HI.
Jerry Eitnier
Eitnier Rifles
Iron Mounted Southern Guns

Offline SR James

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »
Again, thanks for all of your input.  We have rooms in the Hilton just down the street.
Jerry, thanks for the invite.  Will definitely stop by.
Molly, I definitely keep an eye on the for sale postings here along with several other places.  The internet is a great source but I'm looking forward to actually being able to see a large number of rifles in one place.  (And my budget does go below $3000, trust me!  ;)  )

Offline Molly

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 05:01:52 AM »
Make you a deal, SR.  You post a photo of your purchase(s) and I'll post "some" of mine.  Brought home a pair last year.  And they are two of the very best rifles I have.  The guy who got us into this told me they were like Lays Chips.  You just cannot have ONE.  As a matter of fact, I think it would make a great thread...."what I got at the CLA show".  Who wants to start it?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
If you attend the show. Bring as much money as you can. Trust me on this. I didn't an lost on one beautiful rifle. An I'm still kicking my self. An Molly that is a great idea.

Offline Mike New

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 04:17:10 AM »
I have been going to Lexington for 5 or 6 years. Each year I thought I would get past the "overwhelming" and it gets worst every year. Not being well known it is amazing to me to be able to mingle with the big names and heavy hitters of the muzzle loading world. The guns and other items are even more overwhelming! If you are there and see a feller about 55 all glassey eyed and looking lost help me out!! Mike New

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 02:49:54 AM »
If you attend the show. Bring as much money as you can. Trust me on this. I didn't an lost on one beautiful rifle. An I'm still kicking my self. An Molly that is a great idea.

I just found out I will be able to make it for Friday.

Do most people take plastic, or do I need to bring some cash?

Offline Molly

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
My opinion....people who are there and are actually in "the business" of selling seem to accept credit cards.  The casual hobbyist or side liners probably don't.  But I have not had anyone refuse a check.

Offline Molly

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 12:30:01 AM »
BTW, I see the inside back cover of the American Tradition notes "join us for a special celebration on Friday evening".  What is that going to be?

Offline heinz

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
The Celebration is of the 20th Anniversary of the CLA.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
OK, so there is no hospitality "free bar" with fried chicken livers wrapped in bacon all served by waiters and waitresses in period costume?  Gee, I thought it was something more.

Offline heinz

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »
No, they should have a full doings for the anniversary celebration, chicken livers and all.  They lust have not announced it yet. 

I only do the auction, with a lot of help but you could email the office and ask for details.  On the way out of town or would do it.

heinz
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »
The back inside cover of the American Traditions suggests somethin g is going to happen at 6:30 and to call the CLA for info.  Guess I'll call tomorrow

Offline Molly

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 03:09:03 AM »
OK, I see the info now on pages 6 & 7.  Cash bar, food, punch etc with other festivities.

AFChief

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »
How about parts?  The registration form talks of Contempory tables and Antique tables, but I've seen photos of past shows with the big named vendors (Chambers, Dunlap, Log Cabin, etc) who go as well.